Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Propshaft
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Wiring for ammeter

Post by Propshaft »

Hi could anyone explain possibly with a wiring diagram how to connect up an ammeter to my minor which has an alternator fitted. I am a complete electrical novice .
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Re: Wiring for ammeter

Post by Declan_Burns »

Propshaft,
Here's a wiring diagram from the MG TD which shows how the ammeter is connected. Additional fusing shown which could also be used. It is very similar to the Moggy.
Regards
Declan
Attachments
MGTD_wiring_diagram_with_fuses_(Large).jpg
MGTD_wiring_diagram_with_fuses_(Large).jpg (90.73 KiB) Viewed 2763 times

Regards
Declan
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

Firstly, just note that Declan's diagram is for anyone with a Genny/Dynamo, NOT an Alternator.

But as to the original question...my response has to be ....
WHY?

There's a good reason you don't fit an ammeter with an alternator and that's because it gives out a lot more current than a Genny/Dynamo, thus significantly increasing the fire risk to the car running the cabling around it.
I know you said you're an electrical novice, but if you really want to monitor your charging system with an Alternator, you use a Voltmeter instead.

I won't bother to explain it myself here as it involves a fair few words. It's very succinctly explained here: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et221a.htm
Basil the 1955 series II

Propshaft
Minor Fan

Post by Propshaft »

Thank you both for your replies since I asked the question regarding ammeter I have done a little research and geoberni you are so correct no point in fitting a meter with the alternator and some quite hefty cables involved i am now looking round for a volt meter so will probably be back to the forum re volt meter wiring . Again thank you both
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

The voltmeter is very simple, just connect it between the fuse connected to the ignition switched circuit, and a good earth. It is effectively telling you the voltage straight across the battery, but needs to be via the ignition switch so it is not permanently connected.

I fitted a new dash panel in the drivers side glove box on my traveller, it includes gauges for vacuum, water temp, oil pressure and volts.
I also incorporated a fused cigarette lighter socket in the top left hand corner so I can power up my sat nav with a short USB cable.
This also doubles up as a digital voltmeter and internal temperature gauge.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3in1-Car-12V ... 2749.l2649

Phil
arnoldsally
Minor Friendly

Post by arnoldsally »

pgp001 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:40 pm The voltmeter is very simple, just connect it between the fuse connected to the ignition switched circuit, and a good earth. It is effectively telling you the voltage straight across the battery, but needs to be via the ignition switch so it is not permanently connected.

I fitted a new dash panel in the drivers side glove box on my traveller, it includes gauges for vacuum, water temp, oil pressure and volts.
I also incorporated a fused cigarette lighter socket in the top left hand corner so I can power up my sat nav with a short USB cable.
This also doubles up as a digital voltmeter and internal temperature gauge.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3in1-Car-12V ... 2749.l2649

Phil

Hi, did you manufacture your new panel or purchace one as I fancy doing the same.
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Hi

I got a sheet of aluminium and made my own.
I did make a template from card first to get the shape right.

Holding it into the dash cavity is a bit of a challenge, mine is held in using an elastic bungy cord to pull it back into place, so to remove it you reach up through the big round hole under the dash and un-hook it, then the whole panel comes out easily.

I will try and get a photo tomorrow for you.

Phil
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Here are a couple of photo's as promised

The layout of gauges was chosen very carefully so they were not obscured by the steering wheel, and the cigarette lighter socket had to be in the top left corner so I can power my sat nav from it with a very short cable. The fuse on the RHS is directly in line with the cig lighter supply, as it is connected to a permanent live supply.
The steering wheel is from an earlier car as I prefer the look of it to the two spoke version.

Phil