Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mattyguk1
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Distributor choice?

Post by mattyguk1 »

Hi all, during the recommissioning of my 1970 1098 that had been sitting for ten years plus the distributor was damaged so I need a replacement. The question is what's the best route to take? At the moment it's positive earth, so should I use this opportunity to change to negative earth? I see ESM have new Lucas distributors available, what is the quality of new Lucas parts? Or should I just go electronic?
Last edited by mattyguk1 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Re: Distributor choice

Post by oliver90owner »

Most distributors don't care whether positive or negative earth. Only electronic ignition modules can be - err - rather fussy!

Changing to negative earth only reqires the battery turning around (although, preferably a new battery with the terminals in the right place, or swap out the current connectors for longer ones). Need to swap battery connectors, if round terminal posts. If an ammeter is fitted, that would need rewiring or just accept a discharge reading while charging! Control box likely needs changing or altered wiring, if staying with a dynamo. Coil wires would need swapping.

But you may wish to change to an alternator, which is dead easy to wire up. So what would your plans involve? Better to sort that out first.
mattyguk1
Minor Fan

Re: Distributor choice?

Post by mattyguk1 »

I will need to replace battery anyway so I guess best thing would be to go negative earth and add an alternator whilst I’m about it for better charging? I’m happy to stay with points set up really as I’ve never had much trouble in the past with them on other vehicles, unless the change to electronic is seen as a worthwhile upgrade? Any idea of the quality of the new Lucas distributor?
pgp001
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by pgp001 »

They probably pronounce it "Rucas" in its country of origin. :D

The quality aint what it used to be I am afraid.

Phil
mattyguk1
Minor Fan

Post by mattyguk1 »

Thanks, can anybody recommend a decent replacement instead?
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

For me I would make a call to Disributor Doctor, he supply’s no’s reconditioned units.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

I'd also highly recommend Distributor Doctor (Martin Jay) - he rebuilt and recurved a DM2 for my rebuilt 948 engine and did a wonderful job.

I ran one of those replacement Lucas units ('Lucas-TVS' - made in India) for a few years on a standard replacement engine I ran for a year or two, and it was OK. The quality of it was noticeably less good than on the real Lucas units though, and I'm not sure if it would have lasted 50 years like the original! Personally, I would also avoid the cheap electronic units - having been stung by electronic ignition failure, a cheap unit doesn't appeal, and I'm also not convinced of the quality of the units given that they cost less than £50 new!
mattyguk1
Minor Fan

Post by mattyguk1 »

Thanks all, distributor doctor it is then!