Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MKT
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Coil wire connections

Post by MKT »

Hi I have been checking the wiring on my 1968 saloon, and noticed there is one wire connected to the negative side of the coil, and two wires connected to the positive side, in the Haynes work shop manual it only shows one, both wires are running through the loom so look like they have always been there, any ideas what the second wire may be connected to, the car has normal points and condenser, and is fitted with an alternator

Ron
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Re: Coil wire connections

Post by oliver90owner »

Is it a 6 volt coil operating on 12 volts with a ballast resistor in circuit, but bypassed from the output side of the starter solenoid? That was a common way to improve spark energy at engine start-up.
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

There is a Green wire with Yellow tracer in that vicinity, it was used on earlier cars fitted with a blocked oil filter warning light, later cars are fitted with only the oil pressure light, the Green/Yellow wire is still present but not used, just left dangling.
I expect you will find this wire has erroneously been fitted to the coil.
I was going to use this wire as a pulse feed to a rev counter as the other end is conveniently behind the dash but I never got round to it.
Regards John.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

Ron,

Can you post a picture of the coil connections, and also identify the cable colours and where connected?
Richard

MKT
Minor Friendly

Post by MKT »

Thanks for all the replies, we had a maintenance day at my local branch today, and it was confirmed as in John's post above, it was the green yellow wire that someone must have thought was about the right length to connect to the coil, I have owned the car for two years, thankfully it never caused any problems

Regards Ron