Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: dead moggy

Post by les »

If you’ve got the chance of a new one, better than used with unknown history. Don’t want any more mishaps!

darrenj
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by darrenj »

True enough, suppose just rough it up a bit with wire wool, make it look old,😉
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

So glad you found something and there's no other problems.
You mentioned right at the beginning that you had put the Spots on. I take it the Spots are wired after the Lights switch. That of course is putting as far greater load on the Light Switch that was originally intended, unless relays have been used.
Probably a good idea to review how the Spots are connected.

I don't know where you are in the country, but are there any auto-jumbles in your area this bank holiday weekend?
Might be a chance to pick up a genuine one.
You can check it out with a muiti-meter before you buy.
I managed to get an old, fully working, Smith Temp Gauge for £4 last year. :wink:

Edited to add:
I wanted one that was a top pivot for the needle and either marked in F or only a Cold/Hot range. So many new ones are the complete opposite to that. :wink:
Last edited by geoberni on Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Basil the 1955 series II

darrenj
Minor Fan

Post by darrenj »

The metal side of it i could use again but the fact the bakelite plastic has snapped in half brittle, means I need a replacement, the spots are fine as they have relay and inline fuse, so no worries there, glad its only the switch, did find a couple frayed wires which I cut back and re done, so now I will put spots back in the system get a new switch then I'm going out in it regardless of what happens, as I still need to bed in brakes etc, oh by the way, is there a way of fitting a temp gauge to car as it don't have one, think its a good idea, thanks guys n gals if any out there
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I would suggest searching the forum about Temp Gauges, or starting a new topic, as it will make the subject easier to follow. :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Fitting gauges to a standard Minor is a personal choice of course, myself I like the simplicity of just the warning lamps. If you’ve got gauges, you always tend to look for trouble. It’s a Morris Minor it’s ok !! :D

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

darrenj wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:21 pm True enough, suppose just rough it up a bit with wire wool, make it look old,😉
Can't you just re-use the original knob and the old securing ring with the new switch? Then it would look the same, as the switch itself is hidden behind the dash....
darrenj
Minor Fan

Post by darrenj »

Good 💡 💡 💡 💡
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Mine is totally different but is this what you want? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-AU ... SwRApdYskC
darrenj
Minor Fan

Post by darrenj »

Yep that's the one and its already on its way from Andrew eggleton Morris minor parts, £24 free postage brand new with the knob bit, not long to go now before new maiden voyage, yipeeee,😎