Moderator: Moderators

geoberni
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Rear lighting / fuel sender loom routing

Postby geoberni » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:32 pm

jagnut66 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:03 pm

There's no wiring for a heater in the loom either, which seems a bit remiss of the manufacturers. Not a major issue though, just an earth and a live feed.
Were they still only optional in 1954?

Yes
Mine is an after market addition in a '55
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Postby jagnut66 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:02 pm

Blimey! I thought they'd have been standard by then, so when did heaters become standard equipment?

I found the other end of the green wire with a red stripe, it exits a slim section of loom next to the trafficator feed wire. Still can't see a use for it..... yet....
Also exiting this section of loom is a dark green wire, which I believe is part of the lighting circuit, as it is live when the light switch is pulled.
I may have a use for that though.
Best wishes,
Mike.
(Still missing) Olwyn Image

geoberni
Minor Addict

Postby geoberni » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:38 am

jagnut66 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:02 pm
Blimey! I thought they'd have been standard by then, so when did heaters become standard equipment?
I suspect with the introduction of the '1000' in '56, since that was principally intended to make the model far easier to produce, with fewer variables on the assembly line, so putting a heater in every car would seem to fit that thought process.

Perhaps someone can shed a definitive light on this? :)
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Postby jagnut66 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:02 pm

Rewiring update, headlamps and sidelights now connected and it all works!! :D
I even managed to source a new loom section for the headlamp dip to mainbeam floor switch, the only supplier seems to be ESM. I have installed it, to check the circuit works, however the section is at least a metre (3 foot) long, so I think I may need to shorten it a bit.

Shame the head gasket has now blown!! :roll: :lol:

Best wishes,
Mike.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Postby jagnut66 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:01 pm

A bit nicer to look at now.....
Plus it allowed to eliminate all the hacking, chopping and splicing that the front half of the loom had endured over the decades as well.
Along with the opportunity to clean up a few connections, such as the brake light switch. I also refurbished the horn and polished up its brass nut! :P
I have incorporated the wires for the built in sidelights in my new P700 headlights into the head lamp loom sections, unfortunately the new sidelight bases come with unsheathed wires, so I have had to source the nearest match I could find on eBay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Various-Size ... 2749.l2649
Oh and I have found a use for that green wire with a red stripe, so no surplus wires in the new loom now.
Best wishes,
Mike.

PS: The coil wiring will be tidied when I re-site it back on the bulkhead and the wiring that goes across the top of that brake pipe will be corrected when I renew my brake pipes in the near future.
New Wiring Loom  1.JPG
New Wiring Loom 1.JPG (1.26 MiB) Viewed 68 times
New Wiring Loom 2.JPG
New Wiring Loom 2.JPG (977.75 KiB) Viewed 68 times
New Wiring Loom 3.JPG
New Wiring Loom 3.JPG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 68 times