Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Eric990j
MMOC Member: Yes

Horn push help

Post by Eric990j »

Hi all

I have a non functioning horn and think it’s the push. I have an early 3 spoke wheel on a 1970 minor which makes it more confusing. It’s been working on an off, and mostly off. I’ve checked there is power to the horn and that’s ok, then I’ve checked continuity from the horn on t6e other wire to the steering column and I get that to a loose wire that’s behind the wheel and black indicator plastic cover. Where should it be connected to?

I’m not the best on electrics and thought it should connect to the copper plate that touches the steering column. When I did that by hand it got hot which is obviously not correct!!! I hate electrics, but it should be simple.

Can anyone give me some direction of what is what and how to check it out please?

Photos attached of what I can see.

Many thanks

Eric
Attachments
BB2E1256-7E9D-4BEF-9BEF-78F3EB187FE3.jpeg
BB2E1256-7E9D-4BEF-9BEF-78F3EB187FE3.jpeg (62 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
06BE3241-63E4-4E3D-B382-BF09ADD8CFFB.jpeg
06BE3241-63E4-4E3D-B382-BF09ADD8CFFB.jpeg (81.32 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Horn push help

Post by ManyMinors »

From memory, the brown/black wire should be attached to the horn contact part of the switch which rubs on the column. You can see in your picture where it has come from and it should be soldered. The horn won't work without that. The switch looks fairly new so I'm guessing it is another example of a cheap remanufactured part which has not been assembled very well :x
It shouldn't matter that you have fitted the earlier steering wheel and hornpush - and there is little to go worng in the hornpush itself in any case. From what I can see, the contact within the column looks fine.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
If it's a late Minor then it may have been swapped to the earlier steering wheel set up, out of preference, by a previous owner.
Allot of people think the spoked steering wheel is nicer.
The problem I found when I owned Abby was that the (copper?) contact pad (that rests on the steering column - pictured) tended to ware out, or in the case of the (new) replacements I bought, just plain fell off! :roll: :lol:
In the end I manufactured my own contact and solved the problem that way.
As has been suggested, you might be best breaking out the soldering iron and fixing those you have yourself, rather than keep buying new and then having them fail on you.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

The way you describe it you may have more than one fault.
The wire should be soldered to the small bent section next to the big sprung contact as you thought.
06BE3241-63E4-4E3D-B382-BF09ADD8CFFB.jpeg
06BE3241-63E4-4E3D-B382-BF09ADD8CFFB.jpeg (96.88 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
As pictured it shouldn’t do anything when connected.
For the Brown/Black wire to get hot when connected to its correct location with horn button pressed suggests either a faulty Horn or the return wire Purple/Black is connected to the wrong side of the horn it has two supply and two earth return terminals.
The wire though center of the column that touches the horn push is connected to the slip ring and insulated from the metal column. So if it gets hot (replace horn or fit wire on correct terminal first) as pictured without the horn push fitted then there is a short from that wire to the column. Under that clip that touches the center of the horn push is a normal barrel connector, the other end is held in the black plastic section (it is two halves) under the slip ring and has a connector and small spring to hold it against the slip ring. It looks like it has been apart but if it works don’t touch it, you’ll be looking at second hand parts for this.
Finally only the Purple/Black should join to the Brown/Black wire from the stalk under the dash.
Regards John
Eric990j

Post by Eric990j »

Thank you everyone for your help. The hot wire was indeed because I did not realise I replugged the wires on the horn on the same terminal. I soldered the other end of the wire in as you showed and it’s working perfect.

I can’t thank you enough, what a great forum and members.

Best regards

Eric