Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Blumpygrumf
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Ignition Type?

Post by Blumpygrumf »

Hi all,

I'm about to fit an Accuspark electronic ignition distributor and coil on a Morris Minor I've been asked to do some work on.
I have zero experience on the Morris Minor, and have barely even lifted the bonnet up till now so I'm clueless on the finer details of this classic vehicle.

Can anyone tell me which of the ignition set up's applies to the Morris Minor, is it "Standard Ignition" or "Ballast Ignition"?

Many thanks.....
Attachments
IMG_20191005_0002(0).jpg
IMG_20191005_0002(0).jpg (281.06 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Ignition Type?

Post by philthehill »

The Morris Minor is fitted with the standard ignition as per fig 1a. above.

oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Unless, of course someone has fitted a 6 volt coil at some time. Unlikely, but there is a Law which dictates you will get it wrong unless you check it out before making an expensive mistake.

It is fairly obvious if no extra wires are involved in the circuit? Or the coil - they are normally all wound the same except that 12 volt coils include an internal current-limiting resistor.
Blumpygrumf
Minor Friendly

Post by Blumpygrumf »

Thanks to you both. I'll check the 6 volt possibility but I'd be surprised if it's been messed with, i reckon it's all standard but felt I needed a second opinion.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

Don't forget that the Minor was originally positive earth. The Accuspark 1a diagram assumes negative earth, so the car will need to be changed to negative first, before changing the ignition system. Probably a good idea anyway, as the owner can fit an alternator, radio etc. with less bother than +ve earth.

Alternators were rarely +ve earth, even at the beginning of their time.
Richard

Blumpygrumf
Minor Friendly

Post by Blumpygrumf »

I should have mentioned earlier, this car is negative earth. New battery fitted, along with that accuspark kit, the car now starts and runs nicely, though it's yet to be driven (that will be a long way off yet).

Many thanks to all who responded here.