Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Owlsman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: LED bulbs anyone?

Post by Owlsman »

Thanks for the quick response and I'll take you up on your advice.

I'll post the result from the supplier/distributor on here, when I get it.

Cheers.
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

I’m obviously using them in the same lights as Phil, but judging by their design they’ll work fine in a saloon as they distribute light in the same direction as a regular bulb.
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

This is the reply I have received from Classic Car LEDs :- ''That style of LED is suitable for rearward and downward facing installations. The light from those LEDs radiates in all directions equally similar to that of an incandescent lamp.''

As you suggest PG, it looks a though they will perfectly well in a saloon. One order on its way tomorrow!

Thanks for your help guys.
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Just as a bit of an aside...….I've actually ordered 3 bulbs (2 plus a spare) just now direct from CC LEDs at £6.67 each incl. free postage. Before that I thought it might be easier to order them on eBay so I did a quick search and found the self-same bulbs available from the self-same supplier (CC LEDs) AT £16.00 EACH……….but still free postage though.

Mmmmm?
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

The ebay price is for a pair inc vat, so actually a fraction cheaper than the webshop.
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

New rear LEDs arrived yesterday and fitted this morning. Everything written about them is spot on. They are much brighter than the 'originals' and there is a marked difference in brightness for the brake light.

Does anyone know if there is something similar available for the front side/indicator lights?
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

Yes, the same style of bulb is available in amber for indicators and they do a sideline bulb that’s the same colour as a normal bulb, so avoiding the white light that looks wrong on a classic.
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Glad you are happy with the "classic car LED" stop tail lamps, they were the only ones that I found to work correctly. I did have more success with other ebay bulbs however.

I bought these to fit the dashboard lights but they did not work very well in that application so I used them in the number plate light instead.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372216232699

I tried three different types of sidelight bulbs before finding these worked the best by projecting a lot of light forwards.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222307521913

And one of these in the interior light, it is easily twice as bright as the original bulb.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192263868190

Even though they are all from ebay I am very pleased with them.

Dont bother with these.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153038707064
They fell apart as I was fitting them :D

However I decided not to bother with LED indicators, the saving would be very minimal and I would also need a solid state flasher unit to drive them. I have also pondered over getting a set of good quality LED headlight bulbs, but to honest for the number of times we are out in the dark it would not really be worth it for me.

Hope this helps
Phil
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Owlsman wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:39 am
Does anyone know if there is something similar available for the front side/indicator lights?
There's LED replacements for just about all lamps these days. Your replacement requirements depend on what your current front layout is.
Are you pre/post '63 for example?

When I got Basil (Late SII), the previous owner had fitted Halogen Headlamps with integral sidelight fitting, turning the front sidelight into the indicator with an orange lens.
I've fitted amber LEDs and put clear lenses in, so until they flash, the car looks correct with 'white' lenses.

I see that Charles Ware for example are now offering a conversion where I could restore the white separate sidelight, whilst retaining the amber indicator. https://www.morrisminor.org.uk/parts/57 ... mp-led-kit
Basil the 1955 series II

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

So, today's post delivery was another style of combined Stop/Tail lamp, and excellent lamps they are too. These actually work as intended.
These are strips of LED, encased in clear silicone.
20191214_121946.jpg
20191214_121946.jpg (507.09 KiB) Viewed 2282 times
This composite image is the lamp with and without the cover over it. LH side is Tail Light on, RH side images are the Stop Light.
Lights.jpg
Lights.jpg (67.4 KiB) Viewed 2282 times
Obviously some limitations with the single images, I'll try and sort out a video of it later.

These particular ones were from ebay on this listing:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1157-Bay15d- ... 2749.l2649
Basil the 1955 series II

Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Many thanks for your replies and links guys - much appreciated, as ever. I must confess I had an 'orrible thought when I read Phil's post, as I'd never checked if the rear indicators still worked...….but they do!

Mine is a late '62 saloon with the 'factory' standard lights/indicator set-up i.e. one integrated rear lens for side, brake and indicator lights. Similar set-up at the front with one integrated side/indicator light. To be honest, I don't really understand the significance or reference to the solid state flasher unit but that is entirely due to my ignorance of most things electrical...……..well, just of most things, really :D .

I'm like you Phil, I'm unlikely to do much (if any) night-time driving but I think I'll go for the LED front side/indicator bulbs so that I improve my chances of being seen when turning left or right. I assume I don't need a solid state flesher unit.

Alan
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

The solid state flasher is for led bulbs. Led bulbs draw much less current than normal bulbs, so if the standard flasher is retained the indicators will flash too quickly.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

PoolGuy wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:20 pm The solid state flasher is for led bulbs. Led bulbs draw much less current than normal bulbs, so if the standard flasher is retained the indicators will flash too quickly.
...or not at all.

John :wink:
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Thank for the info re the solid state flasher and other LED options, chaps. I've checked the 'flashing frequency' (with just the rear LEDs) and it seems normal to me.

If I fit LEDs to the front sidelights will my 'flashing**' be at 20 to the dozen then? If so, would I definitely need a s/state flasher and is it just a straight swap?

**I know...….it depends on if the police catch me at it :D :D
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

When I first started fitting LEDs to Basil, as mentioned previously, I fitted LEDs to the front indicators.
Those worked OK with the original Flasher Unit, only adding LEDs to the rear did I have problems of not flashing.
Now that I've changed the rears to double up with the brake Lights, I've in effect got 2 LED and 1 conventional 21w Lamp each side, so the original flasher unit still works.
Equally, adding a load resistor as sometimes required with modern cars and their fancy sensing circuits, would also presumably cure any problems.
Basil the 1955 series II

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

if anyone is interested, I've now uploaded a video of the performance of the lamp I mentioned here on Saturday just a few posts up the page, the once that has long strips of LED encased in clear silicone.

Pop over to youtube to see the video: https://youtu.be/zHTzLepE6-A
As before, the LED is in the RH Side.
I'm well satisfied with it's performance.
Basil the 1955 series II

oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

You’ve got one subscriber to your channel!
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

oliver90owner wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:12 pm You’ve got one subscriber to your channel!
Thumbs1.jpg
Thumbs1.jpg (11.91 KiB) Viewed 2164 times
Hope you found it useful to see the comparison.
Basil the 1955 series II

ampwhu
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by ampwhu »

oh yes, replaced some on my Austin van today.
festoon bulb.JPG
festoon bulb.JPG (35.83 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
instrument bulb.JPG
instrument bulb.JPG (31.82 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
rear light brake bulb.JPG
rear light brake bulb.JPG (49.32 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
red LED rear bulbs as mentioned above.
rear bulb.JPG
rear bulb.JPG (37.24 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Prefer these as instrument/interior bulbs...
2020_0125leds0002.JPG
2020_0125leds0002.JPG (2.06 MiB) Viewed 1866 times
2020_0125leds0003.JPG
2020_0125leds0003.JPG (1.47 MiB) Viewed 1866 times
not directional.

John ;-)