Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sandun
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Su fuel pump repair

Post by Sandun »

Hi

My friends , Do you use any glue when replace diaphragm ( not for diaphragm side , other side - in between sandwich plate/middle plate and inlet filter side , when replace two gaskets )

And use glue when fix unions ? (Inlet , outlet )

Regards
Sandun .

simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Su fuel pump repair

Post by simmitc »

I have never used glue / sealant anywhere on the fuel pump, anbd have not encountered any leaks.
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Sandun
I endorse simmitc's reply … no glue or sealant.
Bob
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

I will also support the none use of glue of any type for this application - the joints if made correctly will be self sealing.

Petrol can effect the glue and ultimately cause leaks which can be dangerous.

Sandun
Minor Addict

Post by Sandun »

Thank you ,

I buy two gasket for it from ebay , seem to be the two same size (thickness ) , the two very thin ( green color )

I am not sure , the filter side one ( not diaphragm side gasket ) correct gauge , i think it want to be thick

Do you have any experience please ?

mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Sandun
Referring to Burlen's diagram , see link http://sucarb.co.uk/su-fuel-pumps-spare ... arity.html
There are two gaskets that could be described as " diaphragm sized ".
The item No 38 , nearest the base has 6 x holes for the fixing screws plus a slot to match the casting of the base internally. AUA4082X non asbestos version
The second gasket Item 25 is plain , with 6 holes around the perimeter. AUB 809X non asbestos version

Because you purchased the gaskets on Ebay , I've no idea of the source of the Supplier's goods or it's quality.
Have you questioned the Ebay seller , if you are saying the material is too thin and not fit for purpose ?
Buying another ( 2nd / second ) cheaper gasket for the filter side AUA 4082X may be an option , if you don't wish
to purchase an original from Burlen.
It is possible to buy sheets of gaskets paper ( of different thicknesses and size ) from which you can make your own gaskets. A set of metal punches ( to accommodate different screw or bolts sizes ) with a sharp trim knife would produce a nice clean gasket.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GASKET-PAPER ... wNJpbftXw

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12PC-HOLLOW- ... SwZfNacKB1
Bob