Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bridgetj
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Alternator conversion

Post by Bridgetj »

Following all the help and advice going for Alternator.
This for Hilda the little charging 4 door.
What needs changing apart from the battery connections?
What about the heater, wipers, ignition coil,indicators, anything else I forgot?
Thanks in anticipation.
Tim
Timj
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: Alternator conversion

Post by myoldjalopy »

Plenty of information about alternator conversions on the net - just search. What they may not all tell you though is to swap the coil connections around to deal with the polarity change. You will get a spark if you don't do this, but it won't be as strong - and, therefore, less efficient.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Depends if your car is currently (no pun intended) Positive or Negative Earth.

IF you're going for an alternator, the instructions should include all the info you need.

if the car is Positive earth at the moment you'll need to change the coil connections, otherwise the spark will be going in the wrong direction, from plug body to centre electrode. Not good for life of the plugs or quality of the spark.

Everything else will be fine, although you haven't mentioned a radio.
Again if Pos Earth the radio will unfortunately need to be changed, or if it's a really old one there could be a change over switch fitted to it somewhere to the rear of it.

So if you are changing from Pos to Neg earth, you'll need to change the orientation of the battery so that the leads reach. be careful when you do this as it's easy to short the terminals with the clamp.

I've got tape on the clamp bar and I ensure it keeps clear of the terminal post. I've seen other batteries secured with the bar across the front rather than on the leading edge. When Basil needs a new battery, I'll get one with the posts the opposite side.
DSCF8107.JPG
DSCF8107.JPG (524.92 KiB) Viewed 3378 times
I also saw a recently refurbished car at the national rally a few months ago where the owner had the clamp bar touching the terminal posts and only from sheer luck did he have a painted bar surface that was preventing it shorting out. I warned him to move the bar in case it wore through the paint layer on the drive home! :o
Basil the 1955 series II

kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kennatt »

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

kennatt wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:12 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NsAYiUHsho full explanationhere
Goes on a bit though. See this old topic critiquing the video.... viewtopic.php?f=11&t=59496
Basil the 1955 series II

ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

one of the best upgrades you can do. I have them fitted to all 3 classics.

once this is done, change to discs. another top modification.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

How far do you go with mods before realising one might as well buy a ‘modern’ vehicle. I’ve reached the point of deciding wether to complete and fit a Marina engine or keep the original, it runs so sweet I’m starting to think I’d be silly to replace it. Some serious thinking required !
PS: I have fitted an alternator!

Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

les wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:33 pm How far do you go with mods before realising one might as well buy a ‘modern’ vehicle.
I think it depends on what you use the vehicle for. My priority is that my van does the job that I bought it for. Originality comes second, within reason.
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

Safety is why I fitted discs. I don't see the point in fitting bigger drums and shoes. They are still drums and aren't up to modern day driving.

This is the same reason for fitting an alternator. I have electric items in the car with usb etc. A dynamo is not up to the job.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Engine wise I like the 948 these days, which is a standard engine for the Minor, with a rib case box attached and this time, as I'm working may way through the bushes etc. and I had one sat around, a 1098 4.22 axle / diff on the back.
Discs and an alternator are a must for me.
Instrument wise I like to see water temp and oil pressure gauges (the oil pressure gauge was a standard fitment on my 1954 series 2 but deleted by the time Olwyn was built in 1955, a step backwards methinks), plus a 20 amp outlet for charging my mobile and an electric windscreen washer washer but these can be discretely fitted on small panels below the dash.
On both my splitscreens (past and present) there were flashing indicators added to supplement the trafficators, which I have retained in both cases, as on motorways / duel carraigeway's I prefer them, as I want drivers of moderns to have no excuses about knowing where I am heading.
However, unless someone has got there before me (as with Olwyn), I will site them using brackets, not by drilling the wings, which on series 2's are like rocking horse poo!.....
Though on single carraigeway's / local roads I'm quite happy to use the trafficators (with flashicator LEDs fitted).
A discrete high level brake light is a must these days, I think, too....
Small concessions and, I like to think, ones that don't detract too much from the original design / look.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Regarding disc brakes for safety, I don’t think drum brakes equate to unsafe, otherwise they wouldn’t get an MOT certificate.

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Drum brakes are just fine, so long as you remember that you’re driving a car with drum brakes! :D
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

disagree on drum brakes. why change 7" brakes for 8" or 9"? they are drum brakes all the same. you still have to grovel on the floor with a screwdriver to adjust the clicker wheels. pointless waste of time in my book.

fit discs and be done with it. check the fluid once a month and enjoy.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Great that we can agree to disagree :wink:
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

its a simple engineering decision. why replace like for like when you can upgrade/improve with modern technology? why waste time/money/ laying on the floor for 2nd best? I learned this years ago.

fit discs and don't look back.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I’m happy with my drums, you’re happy with your discs, sounds like all is well :D

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

les wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:33 pm How far do you go with mods before realising one might as well buy a ‘modern’ vehicle. I’ve reached the point of deciding wether to complete and fit a Marina engine or keep the original, it runs so sweet I’m starting to think I’d be silly to replace it. Some serious thinking required !
PS: I have fitted an alternator!
Totally agree.
I wonder why some people bother having a classic/vintage vehicle if all they focus on is having the facilities of a modern.
Saying things like needing Discs because of 'modern driving' just doesn't hold up.
Whatever you're driving you drive to the conditions and the capabilities of the vehicle.
Adding Discs just so you can drive in a more 'modern' manner (Whatever that might be) does nothing for the handling, crash protection or other requirements of 'modern' driving.
I've nothing against people fitting disc brakes, but please don't regard having discs as some sort of licence to drive any differently from having drums.
Basil the 1955 series II

ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

who said that? not me. its quite sensible to fit discs.

easier to maintain.
less chance of leaks
better braking capacity.

its a no brainer. i drive a classic (or 3 of them) for the charm, looks, feel etc. but when i push the pedal to stop i want to do just that.

the amount of idiots on the road these days made my decision easy. fit better brakes and avoid expensive bodywork repairs when you can't stop because the rich kid in front in his new BMW can't drive.

experience it one day, you'll see the benifits.
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

or the other option is to polish your car in your garage and drive it 100 miles between each MOT test. the one you don't need but insist on paying for each year. That's £50 every year to check your drums, when the tester didn't train for in their college exam. chances are they wouldn't know what they were looking for anyway.

you crack on.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

You’ve got discs, that’s all that matters. Just make sure there’s not a Minor behind you. :D