Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dennissutera
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Wiring in a bank of plugs/usb ports

Post by dennissutera »

I would like to have the temporary use of a satnav, dashcam & mobile phone whilst driving my car, as well as being able to use an electronic plug in tyre compressor to check/inflate when necessary my tyres. Can any member suggest/recommend the safest/most practical way of achieving this? I'm aware that Auto electrical suppliers eg Halfords, or their on-line equivalents sell a "bank" usually comprising 2-plug-in 12V sockets & 2-USB ports. Regards & thank you for any future advice in resolving my intention.
pgp001
Minor Addict

Re: Wiring in a bank of plugs/usb ports

Post by pgp001 »

I installed a cig lighter socket on mine, into which I plug a USB power adaptor. There are quite a few types to choose from, some are simply USB outlets but mine has a digital inside temperature and battery voltage display as well. All very cheap on ebay.

I positioned the cig lighter socket so there is only a very short USB cable run up to the Sat Nav when it is used suckered to the lower centre of the windscreen.

My lighter socket runs through a 3A fuse in the holder at the RHS side of the new dashboard, I have no intention of running anything more than that through mine, so you would want to think about that if you are running tyre inflators etc.

Phil
Phil-1954
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Phil-1954 »

I've got a single cigarette lighter socket (Ebay) inside the passenger glove box for a Sat Nav, but it is fed from the live side of the ignition switch. That's ok for a low current Sat Nav, but heavy current devices like pumps may overload the ignition switch. Also you will need the ignition on to pump up your tyres, and unless the engine is running you could overheat the coil.
You can get 5v adaptors that plug into cig lighter as well.
Your question kind of overlaps with mine, in so much an ignition switch with an an auxiliary position that Moggies don't have but most cars of that era did, could then activate a separately fused relay to power the load. This will then supply enough current, but without the risk of leaving the load draining the battery, when the key is removed.
Regards

Phil T
http://www.hvtesla.com
dennissutera
Minor Friendly

Post by dennissutera »

My sincere thanks to pgp001 & Phil-1954 for their quick & helpful advice-Regards, Dennis Sutera.