Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Series 2 Horn - Bolt in steering column

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
As part of my refurbishment I have taken out my steering column for a repaint. As you will know there is a slim bolt through the steering column support bracket (which bolts to the underside of the dash below the instruments), onto which the wire from the loom for the horn push connects.
You've guessed it, I have lost said bolt. I have searched but now have to accept that I don't know where it dropped or whether it will ever resurface :(...................
Please can someone enlighten me as to the correct size, so I can purchase a replacement.
Many thanks,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Series 2 Horn - Bolt in steering column

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
For anyone interested the bolt size (modern equivalent) is M5 x 40. The head for this fits neatly into the recess in the steering column mount and it is just the right length without the need for it to be cut down.
I expect I'll find my original bolt now I've replaced it......... :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.

Link to bolts:

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... OAQ&adurl=
Attachments
M5 x 40 bolt for horn connection.JPG
M5 x 40 bolt for horn connection.JPG (650.35 KiB) Viewed 498 times
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)