Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
CaliTrav
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Distributor

Post by CaliTrav »

Hi all,

Had an "Oh b******s" moment while working on the car... managed to yank on the coil wiring that comes from the distributor and pulled it out altogether. To which I said things like "Oh dear me" and "What a pity"...

So far as I can see it should be simple to pop the wires back in... if I know which way round the black and red should go!

It's like the electronic upgraded one pictured here (blue box with wires is what's come out) but I can't get a clear view of which goes where - can anyone advise? :)

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/ignit ... s-p1238132
simmitc

Re: Distributor

Post by simmitc »

Is your car +ve earth or converted to -ve earth? Electronic ignition is available in both, but can be very sensitive, so we need to know.
CaliTrav
Minor Friendly

Post by CaliTrav »

So far as I know it's negative - but I'm assuming that only because there's an alternator.

Is there a way to check?
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Almost certtainly -ve with an alternator, but easy to check: which terminal on the battery is connected to the vehicle body and which goes to the starter solenoid?
CaliTrav
Minor Friendly

Post by CaliTrav »

Negative (right) goes to body. Assuming the battery hasn't been rotated 180 degrees!

Before I painted the engine bay the previous owner had helpfully painted a Red + over the left hand terminal, too.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

If the battery has round terminal posts, they are distinguishable by size.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

oliver90owner wrote: ↑Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:57 pm If the battery has round terminal posts, they are distinguishable by size.
But are you going to tell him which is which....... (there is only about 1.5mm difference, so not noticed unless you look for it).
Depending on the type of post, it's something like 18mm Neg and 19.5mm Pos if I recall correctly, but there are about 4 or 5 standards for round posts.

I don't think I've ever seen a Battery that didn't have a '+' and a '-' moulded into the case :-?
20200217_163617.jpg
20200217_163617.jpg (930.41 KiB) Viewed 2091 times
Though as I have got a 'rotated' battery, I do have to remove the steady bay to see the marks. :)
Basil the 1955 series II

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Accuspark do provide full instructions, and those are here: http://www.accuspark.co.uk/fitting_guide.html and I recommend that you read them; but in a nutshell, it appears that your black lead goes to the -ve or CB terminal on the coil and your red lead goes to a +ve supply, which can probably be the +ve or IGN terminal on the coil - a white lead if your wiring is standard. Please do double check the instructions before connecting.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

But are you going to tell him which is which....... (

Nope! He has the information and can thus look it up for himself?

It looks fairly obvious, even from your pic.
CaliTrav
Minor Friendly

Post by CaliTrav »

Thanks all,

It's definitely Negative Earth - I checked last night! Both the battery has the moulded + and - and also has a bigger terminal on the + side.

Anyway - maybe I wasn't clear, the issue isn't with the wiring to the coil (which I've got labelled up ready for reassembly) but the wiring from the distributor itself - where the black and red wires come out of the distributor, through that blue plastic case in my link above and then on to the coil. It's the distributor end where the wires go inside it to something I need to reconnect!
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Then can we have a photo of what's inside? You need someone who has one fitted to take a picture of their one too for comparison, or contact Accuspark via the link that I posted previously.
CaliTrav
Minor Friendly

Post by CaliTrav »

Not right now as not at home - but this looks exactly like what's come off - in this photo the wiring (on the right) is going into the black box?

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

You've got 2 wires, 1 BLACK and 1 RED.
The information & link that simmitc gave you yesterday explained it all. :-?

The Black is the one that would have gone to the Points, the Red is the Power supply for the electronics unit.

Confused????

Are you saying you've yanked the Red & Black wires out of the little black box?
Because if you have, you need to buy a new one as they're completely potted in resin.
Basil the 1955 series II

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

If you’re struggling just get an auto electrician out and watch what he does...and pick his brains :lol:
CaliTrav
Minor Friendly

Post by CaliTrav »

Alas, having located the other end of those wires - in the box - Geoberni is correct, the box is full of resin and I've got no hope of reattaching without making a mess of it.

At least now I know what I need to reorder. An expensive mistake!

Thanks for help everyone.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I'm glad we've got to the bottom of it.
Good of you to let us know and not just slink off into the shadows and leave us all wondering (unfortunately some people do that).
Salute.JPG
Salute.JPG (8.07 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
Now if only we had a decent range of smilies, I wouldn't have to use a jpeg......... :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Now if only we had a decent range of smilies, I wouldn't have to use a jpeg......... :wink:

Now but if only you had a modern tablet, such as an Ipad, you would have hundreds available, directly accessible from the keyboard.πŸ˜‚πŸ™ƒπŸ˜—πŸ˜œπŸ€©πŸ˜ŸπŸ˜«πŸ˜ πŸ₯ΆπŸ€—πŸ‘ŽπŸ‘πŸ€žπŸ»etc. Some in different colours, tooπŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘ :wink:

(Main down side is that there is no provision for an SD card on the - - - - thing 😟, so a right pain for down loading for the 3D printer. ☹️ Or reviewing the dash cam recordings. 😠)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Yes, I could use a mobile device, but why should I when I have a perfectly good full size keyboard on a computer that is far easier and faster to use.

πŸ€”πŸ˜œπŸ˜›πŸ€‘
Basil the 1955 series II

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Technology eh...? Getting my first non dumb phone tomorrow. Terrified! :roll: