Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
CaliTrav
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Voltmeter

Post by CaliTrav »

I know it's a common question - and I know not everyone likes them! - but I'm planning to fit one to keep my oil/water gauge company on the insert made up to sit in the driver's glovebox, along with a vacuum. (Again, I know they aren't universally liked either - I'm just having fun!)

As an idiots guide, where on the below picture am I attaching it to?
20200412_130543.jpg
20200412_130543.jpg (4.63 MiB) Viewed 857 times
Also (not strictly electrical!) - I think someone has previously fitted my intake with a vacuum hose attachment. It hasn't been used for a while and looks like it's been painted a few times. Am I right in identifying it and could I re-use it?
20200412_130510.jpg
20200412_130510.jpg (3.46 MiB) Viewed 857 times
And just for fun - this is where they'll sit!
20200412_130557.jpg
20200412_130557.jpg (3.87 MiB) Viewed 857 times
simmitc

Re: Voltmeter

Post by simmitc »

Your wiring is not standard - you are showing two fuseboxes, one with a cover and one without; whereas the standard car would have just one. This makes it difficult to tell you where to connect something as we don't know the function of the various wires. What you need to do is to identify a terminal that that is AFTER the fuse on the circuit and which is live with the ignition on and dead with the ignition off. Once you have identified that terminal, then that's the one to use to feed the meter, with the other meter terminal going to earth. Remember that which meter terminal goes to earth depends on whether your car is still positive earth or has been converted to negative earth.

It looks as though the car has been converted to an alternator and the second fuse box has been used as a terminal block to replace the old dynamo control box; but it is dangerous to make assumptions, hence the advice above.

If the old vacuum take off is still allowing air to pass, then (a) yes, you can use it and (b) closing it off with a new gauge should impriove your mixture, or necessitate and slight adjustment to the carb.
CaliTrav
Minor Friendly

Post by CaliTrav »

Thanks!

You are correct, I have a negative earth alternator converted car.

Ok, so if I have a dig around with my multimeter as you say on the post-fuse terminals and find an ignition-live one, I can feed that into the + side of the gauge and the - will go to an earth. Easy enough!

And good news on the vacuum take off - I'll see if it's still 'open'. If so that would make that job easier too!
bufferzone
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by bufferzone »

I believe you should attach your plus wire to the right hand side of the right hand fuse box alongside the green wires.