Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
borristheminor
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Wiring trafficators and indicator lights

Post by borristheminor »

I have a 1956 minor that am restoring and have decided to refit the trafficators, how can I wire the indicators and trafficators to work together. The indicators have a 2 pin relay fitted.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Wiring trafficators and indicator lights

Post by ManyMinors »

Have you tried the search facility?

Basically: It isn't difficult to wire them up but you need a flasher unit for each side. You can use the switch you already have and take 2 live cables from each side of the switch. One cable to the trafficator and the other to a flasher unit and then to the indicator lights on that side.

If you use the search you should find a more complete explanation and a wiring diagram.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I suggest that you get the flashers and trafficators to work separately.
Put the trafficators on a classic teardrop switch, so you can use them for fun,shows etc.
When they are wired to work together they are very prone to get snapped off!! Ask me how I know :wink:
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I agree with Steve - there are times when you may not want trafficators to pop out when signalling, they can get snapped, especially with 2-doors where they are lower down - or fail to return at high speeds due to wind pressure! I usually use the period flashers already fitted when I bought the car and the trafficators for fun :D
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Trafficators can be reliably used at slower speeds, ie: local journeys.
Whereas indicators are better for motorway / dual carriageway work.
I would wire them to separate switches and fit 'flashicator' bulbs into the trafficators (link below), so modern drivers have some idea what they signify, that is the ones that understand what an indicator is anyway............ :roll:
Best wishes,
Mike.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... 0Ag&adurl=
Last edited by jagnut66 on Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Hi boristheminor

I had a similar situation, in that when I brought Basil (see signature area below) he had been rewired with the early indicator system using the DB10 relay, but with the circuit broken into, so that the brakes went direct to the Brake Lights and the DB10 simply flashed the additional indicators.

However, his trafficators were still fitted, just not wired up.

The difficulty of the circuit is that proper Trafficators don't flash, they are simply an amber lamp on a stalk.

As the guys have said, trafficators can be troublesome in certain situations.
So my solution for Basil was to wire up from the Indicator selector, but route via relays, 1 each side (equally I could have got a larger relay with double contacts, but this was the easier option at the time).

So indicators always work, but I can select if the trafficators work at the same time.
I've fitted the flashing LEDs lamps to the trafficators that Mike spoke of.
Basil also has a hazard switch, as per the diagram.

I hope that info helps.
Trafficator Circuit.jpg
Trafficator Circuit.jpg (130.95 KiB) Viewed 2194 times
Basil the 1955 series II