Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Stevie Jr
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Tracker Systems

Post by Stevie Jr »

Iam thinking about putting a tracker system into me Morris in addition to my DISKLOK steering wheel lock
My neighbour thinks iam wasting my money but I ,ike the idea of being able to find my car anywhere if it does get stolen and or to receive alerts in the car is ever moved anywhere
My Neighbour says yes but they can be disabled so easily but some still alert you if this is done straight to your mobile
Just looking for other veiw points really as they can cost a lot of money for a good one

Cheeers Steve :D
GavinL
Minor Fan

Re: Tracker Systems

Post by GavinL »

There are a lot of relatively cheap similar trackers on the market such as https://uk.banggood.com/Enusic-9V-75V-M ... rehouse=CN

The reviews appear good, and i've bought electronics from this company before and been very happy with the quality.

Yes i've heard that tracker detectors are cheaper than the trackers themselves, but for this sort price it's worth a try, particularly if it gives an alarm if someone interferes with it, or car moves unexpectedly. Also if it is well hidden they would have to find it first!

Anyone tried one of these?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

That is basically the one I have. There's several sellers on ebay.
I have to admit that I had problems with the first one in that it would work with the Asda SIM I got for it, and I got a refund on it.
The next one I brought gave the same issues, the SIM worked fine in an old phone, but wouldn't work in the Tracker.
Cutting a long story short all about different networks and SIMS, I did get it to work, (also the first one) by using a GiffGaff SIM. Even Asda customer services couldn't explain why their SIM didn't work.

So be wary of which network actually is compatible. GiffGaff uses O2, Asda is EE.

I get random updates of the car being in the garage, and the past 6 months has cost me about £2.70, so the £10 uplift to the SIM is going to last a couple if years.

Simple to fit and as it has an inbuilt battery, if the power is lost it will send a text Alert on it's internal battery. Otherwise it's set on an GPS proximity alarm to the garage of a few metres.

I was working on the car the other day, in the garage, I disturbed a connection and 10 seconds later a text arrive warning me of power loss.
Basil the 1955 series II

oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

The reviews appear good, and i've bought electronics from this company before and been very happy with the quality.

Don’t they always? Ban good donate items for review as long as the review is positive for their item!

The only completely honest review of a ban good product I have seen (which included both the good and the bad points) resulted in that person never having been invited to review any product since.

My personal view (from experience) of that supplier is don’t buy unless you can afford to throw it away if no good.
billynoneck

Post by billynoneck »

You can get the best tracker in the world but if the install is bad it will be useless and easily bypassed, with all security products the important thing is the install, well hidden unit and cable runs
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

On the subject of the actual TRACKER, this product is monitored by the police, therefore the traffic unit on the ground has a tracker locater installed as does the forces helicopter.
I have lost count of the amount of vehicles recovered using tracker, it works very well.

A word of caution, thieves know their way around vehicles and as mentioned above can locate and remove the unit in seconds we have had many cases of locating the tracker unit in an empty car park.

If you want to install a cheap tracking unit then try two of them, with one built into the bodywork for extra peace of mind.

The minor has plenty of hidden nooks and crannies where a unit can be hidden.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

" You can get the best tracker in the world but if the install is bad it will be useless and easily bypassed, with all security products the important thing is the install, well hidden unit and cable runs "

....and not telling the world you have one fitted....

John ;-)
Stevie Jr
Minor Friendly

Post by Stevie Jr »

billynoneck wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:17 am You can get the best tracker in the world but if the install is bad it will be useless and easily bypassed, with all security products the important thing is the install, well hidden unit and cable runs
Thats good advise as is all but yeah Ill make sure the cables and unit are hidden

Cheers :x :D
Stevie Jr
Minor Friendly

Post by Stevie Jr »

billynoneck wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:17 am You can get the best tracker in the world but if the install is bad it will be useless and easily bypassed, with all security products the important thing is the install, well hidden unit and cable runs
Thats good advise as is all but yeah Ill make sure the cables and unit are hidden

Cheers :x :D
Stevie Jr
Minor Friendly

Post by Stevie Jr »

Murrayminor wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:30 am On the subject of the actual TRACKER, this product is monitored by the police, therefore the traffic unit on the ground has a tracker locater installed as does the forces helicopter.
I have lost count of the amount of vehicles recovered using tracker, it works very well.

A word of caution, thieves know their way around vehicles and as mentioned above can locate and remove the unit in seconds we have had many cases of locating the tracker unit in an empty car park.

If you want to install a cheap tracking unit then try two of them, with one built into the bodywork for extra peace of mind.

The minor has plenty of hidden nooks and crannies where a unit can be hidden.
Great advise thanks :D
Stevie Jr
Minor Friendly

Post by Stevie Jr »

Sleeper wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:01 am " You can get the best tracker in the world but if the install is bad it will be useless and easily bypassed, with all security products the important thing is the install, well hidden unit and cable runs "

....and not telling the world you have one fitted....

John ;-)
Cheeers John

I wont open my big mouth then lol 8)
Peege

Post by Peege »

Hi,

I fitted a tracker to my caravan, it cost £60 from https://www.rewiresecurity.co.uk/. No sim required. Easily fitted, use discrete wiring to the battery. It also has a built in battery.

The annual fee is £60, this is not monitored but sends messages to my phone if van is vibrated or moved. Also has an input if an ignition system is switched on.
I can also monitor the battery voltage on the app.

Gives me piece of mind at a fairly low cost, and I know the location at all times.

I have no connection with the company.

Cheers,

Peege
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Peege wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:55 am Hi,

I fitted a tracker to my caravan, it cost £60 from https://www.rewiresecurity.co.uk/. No sim required. Easily fitted, use discrete wiring to the battery. It also has a built in battery.

The annual fee is £60, this is not monitored but sends messages to my phone if van is vibrated or moved. Also has an input if an ignition system is switched on.
I can also monitor the battery voltage on the app.

Gives me piece of mind at a fairly low cost, and I know the location at all times.

I have no connection with the company.

Cheers,

Peege
I would question this statement about 'No SIM Required'.

I'm thinking how does it send you information then?

I read the description under SIM Coverage and found it said "
"Traveling(sic) abroad often? Then our Global M2M Sim card is a fantastic solution to avoid costly roaming charges, instead pay a fixed annual cost."

Even more curious.... :-?

So I read the reviews and found one that said
"This is the third year of using two RewireSecurity car trackers. Both have operated faultlessly throughout the period. recently I had the need to change out the original PAYG SIMS. The service provided by Rewire’s staff was superb. Within 36 hrs of ordering Rewire’s own annual contract SIM, I had received, fitted, and had had them activated."

So I'm still not convinced there's no SIM involved. :-? :-?
Basil the 1955 series II

MCYorks
Minor Fan

Post by MCYorks »

Stevie Jr wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:45 pm Iam thinking about putting a tracker system into me Morris in addition to my DISKLOK steering wheel lock
My neighbour thinks iam wasting my money but I ,ike the idea of being able to find my car anywhere if it does get stolen and or to receive alerts in the car is ever moved anywhere
My Neighbour says yes but they can be disabled so easily but some still alert you if this is done straight to your mobile
I suppose people could say that about anything. Why waste money fitting an immobiliser... fitting an alarm... fitting a steering lock? Why bother locking the car? :o
There are some clever people out there and I'm sure, given enough time, most security features can be disabled or circumvented. The sad thing is, if someone is really determined to steal a vehicle they will do so even if you bolted it down to the road!

I suppose a tracker is just another layer to the security. Something to slow them down and make it a bit more difficult. A great idea even if it just alerts you when the car is moved or tampered with. How many vehicles must be stolen and hours or days pass before the owner even realises it has gone? The chance of a stolen vehicle being found must rapidly diminish if it's not quickly reported.
Peege

Post by Peege »

Hi,

My tracker must have an inbuilt sim card then.

The alerts go to my email address and App on my phone and are almost instantaneous.

As I said, peace of mind.

Cheers
nwxh
Minor Fan

Post by nwxh »

I am looking at getting a tracker for a recently restored Trav. Are all locations suitable for tracker or would some not be possible due to faraday cage effect? I wondered about behind the speedometer but perhaps it could pick up a signal for the right side glove compartment without a cover?

Also I noticed the instructions for a tracker saying it requires a low impedance path to the battery ground rather than a point on the car body. Is this nonsense given that the lowest voltage point is presumably closer to the alternator than the battery negative terminal when the car is running so there is no earth with an impedance lower than the bodywork anyway?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

nwxh wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:48 pm
See my post further up the page. My device is tucked away where it can't be easily got at, I won't say where because that would sort of defeat the object of having it. What I would say is whatever your device, you might need to see what locations work for you.

As to the
Also I noticed the instructions for a tracker saying it requires a low impedance path to the battery ground rather than a point on the car body.
I would say that is garbage, since if your connections are good, the entire body shell is 'Battery Ground'.

The alternator is irrelevant. Your tracker will be most needed when the car isn't running.
Basil the 1955 series II

nwxh
Minor Fan

Post by nwxh »

geoberni wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:03 pm My device is tucked away where it can't be easily got at, I won't say where because that would sort of defeat the object of having it.
Many thanks, I realise people should not say where the good locations are. Would it be ok to ask if there are any locations which would require a tracker with external antennae (which may mean the the hiding place is not as good) or is this also too much information?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I think that would depend on the tracker.
The one I used is self contained with no facility for an extra antenna.
But although we live in a village with a pretty patchy mobile phone signal, as I mentioned, disconnecting the battery on basil will result in a text (or several) to my mobile.
That's with the device hidden away and the car in the brick/tile roof garage.

it's only a simple one I used, they're readily available, looking like this.
Add a free Giff-Gaff sim loaded with £10 of credit and it lasts for ages. If you set up a radius around where it's parked, you have to remember to turn that off or you'll be getting a text evey time you go out in the car :lol: :roll:
tracker.JPG
tracker.JPG (59.95 KiB) Viewed 2164 times
Basil the 1955 series II

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

I'm still not convinced this tech is anything other than a gimmick now and has yet to reach sufficient maturity that owners can actually rely on it. I WANT to be convinced because it's a great theory to have your car phone you and tell you where it is if it gets nicked
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster