Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Steve1962
MMOC Member: Yes

horn problem !!!

Post by Steve1962 »

IMG-20200625-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20200625-WA0000.jpg (84.13 KiB) Viewed 933 times
Hi everyone,i have fitted a new wiring loom and cannot,as it was sometime since removing the old one,remember the horn wiring.i have a black/purple wire with a connector on the end but every time it touches earth the horn is sounding.i have in fact just pyut the steering column back in and the wiring inside that is in tact.also the car has been changed to negative earth and is a 1954 split screen.But i cannot work out where that wire should go.it does have a terminal on it suggesting it bolts to something/somewhere ??? any help is appreciated
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Re: horn problem !!!

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
The purple horn wire connects with the wire that runs inside the steering column behind the column mounting bracket, shown in your picture, via the bolt shown below. I don't have a picture of how it connects at present, I'll take one for you tomorrow and post it up.
Best wishes,
Mike.
M5 x 40 bolt for horn connection.JPG
M5 x 40 bolt for horn connection.JPG (650.35 KiB) Viewed 900 times
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Steve1962

Post by Steve1962 »

Thanks Mike,that will be a great help👍👍👍 :)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Picture for you below. There are fibre washers front and rear of the connection, presumably to stop it continually earthing onto the body.
I hope you still have the thin (sprung?) metal strip that touches on the column, when the horn is pressed this allows the circuit to be completed and the horn to sound.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Attachment point of purple Horn wire from loom.JPG
Attachment point of purple Horn wire from loom.JPG (928.18 KiB) Viewed 868 times
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Unless I have misunderstood its operation, it Llooks like that will need some sort of "top hat" shaped fibre washer to ensure the inside diameter of the ring terminal cannot touch the mounting stud and is only electrically connected to the spring wiper strip.

Phil
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Fortunately I put all the components that make up this connection to one side when I dismantled it in preparation for my new loom.
If you've lost any of the bits you may have some trouble locating replacements, unless others on here have spares.
Though Club spares, 'sparesman' on here, might have an assembly he can sell to you........
I doubt the main suppliers will stock these parts.
Best wishes,
Mike.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

pgp001 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:02 am Unless I have misunderstood its operation, it Llooks like that will need some sort of "top hat" shaped fibre washer to ensure the inside diameter of the ring terminal cannot touch the mounting stud and is only electrically connected to the spring wiper strip.

Phil
From what I recall of taking mine apart, you're correct. There's a fibre top hat in there on Basil. It would be quite easy to reproduce from other insulating washers or even cut some discs out of any soft plastic.
Basil the 1955 series II