Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Andymoor94
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Electrical Gremlins become too often

Post by Andymoor94 »

Hi all,

You may see me on here with constant niggly things. If it isn't a shorting fuse, or failing trafficators, it's a stop light that isn't working, wipers acting up and now we have a big one. The dynamo isn't charging. 12.4 measured between battery terminals when running, high throttle or not.

This came to light (haha) after the red light on the dash appearing whilst driving, accompanied by a faint smell which I can't describe.

At what point do I call it quits and just get a whole new loom and take a week off to figure it all out?

My VeloSolex gave up the go after using dry petrol without oil by accident, so that's another vehicle out of the window for now. I've actually just committed to buy a £500 Audi TT from a colleague just to get me about now, which has put funds super low, so as you can imagine, my main aim from here on out is to reduce stress.

Any help is incredibly appreciated. Eugene has stopped being a reason to smile and I hate that
Eugene - My daily driver
1954 4 Door Saloon with original 803cc Engine.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Electrical Gremlins become too often

Post by geoberni »

Faint smell?
Like burning rubber perhaps?
It does sound as though your electrics have seen better days doesn't it.

There's been a few topics recently about checking Dynamos out, perhaps worth having a look. I know how you like learning new stuff. :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

geoberni wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:03 pm Faint smell?
Like burning rubber perhaps?
It does sound as though your electrics have seen better days doesn't it.

There's been a few topics recently about checking Dynamos out, perhaps worth having a look. I know how you like learning new stuff. :wink:
You've got me pinned there! I've already done a lot of research on the dynamo testing, regulator point checking etc, but given the smell, I dare say it's a short somewhere and my wiring is just... haggered :o
Eugene - My daily driver
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

If the battery isn't being charged, then the problem will be either fan belt too loose (or broken!), a faulty dynamo, a faulty control box or something wrong with the associated wiring.
Test the dynamo output first to identify or eliminate that as the problem. This article may help: https://www.howacarworks.com/electrical ... ing-output
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

myoldjalopy wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:29 pm If the battery isn't being charged, then the problem will be either fan belt too loose (or broken!), a faulty dynamo, a faulty control box or something wrong with the associated wiring.
Test the dynamo output first to identify or eliminate that as the problem. This article may help: https://www.howacarworks.com/electrical ... ing-output
What a cracking page, that finally puts into pictures what everyone of the forum keeps talking about!!
Eugene - My daily driver
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

[quote=
At what point do I call it quits and just get a whole new loom and take a week off to figure it all out?
[/quote]
NOW ! :D

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I thought that you'd already got one in your basket with ESM? I'd complete the checkout now! :o

We do know that your loom is past its best, and you're getting loads of odd faults. The smell could be burning wiring. Lack of charging could be failed regulator, failed dynamo, loose fan belt, or burned out wiring. Failed insulation could lead to an electrical fire and loss of the car. Do you want to wait until then?

Fitting the new loom really isn't that difficult or complex. Just note the route of the old loom and feed the new one along the same way, all the "arms" will fall into place; then it's just matching colours as per the diagram. You will need to remove the glove boxes and speedo. First thing is to disconnect the battery, then taking out the old loom is really simple - just disconnect all terminals and then cut it into pieces and pull it out. You can also use parts of the old loom to pull the new one through to the right place.

Think how, once it's done, the car will be reliable and fun to drive :D
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

simmitc wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:30 pm
I thought that you'd already got one in your basket with ESM? I'd complete the checkout now! :o

We do know that your loom is past its best, and you're getting loads of odd faults. The smell could be burning wiring. Lack of charging could be failed regulator, failed dynamo, loose fan belt, or burned out wiring. Failed insulation could lead to an electrical fire and loss of the car. Do you want to wait until then?

Fitting the new loom really isn't that difficult or complex. Just note the route of the old loom and feed the new one along the same way, all the "arms" will fall into place; then it's just matching colours as per the diagram. You will need to remove the glove boxes and speedo. First thing is to disconnect the battery, then taking out the old loom is really simple - just disconnect all terminals and then cut it into pieces and pull it out. You can also use parts of the old loom to pull the new one through to the right place.

Think how, once it's done, the car will be reliable and fun to drive :D
I still have it in there with a regulator and fuse box... I haven't pulled the trigger yet because the usual excuse - Money! I decided that a £500 runabout would be a better investment incase Eugene is drivebound for time 😭

That and I'm still not 100% sure on it being correct
Eugene - My daily driver
arjay
Minor Friendly

Post by arjay »

When I changed my loom, I followed a tip from an old hand: having disconnected battery, I cut the loom leaving a couple of inches attached to each instrument or fitting. This made identifying which wire went where much easier than following a far-too-small wiring diagram. I accept that this might not be quite so useful as a guide if the wire coverings have faded so much as to be indistinguishable.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Clever idea !

Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

I was given this tip when I put a new loom into an MGB roadster. It's a long time ago now but I remember vividly how easy it was and how broad my grin was when I reconnected the battery and tentatively switched on the ignition to see the ignition and oil warning lights come on.......and the car fired up straight away.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

A new loom would appear to be an obvious answer to the OP's issues, but an option to consider before buying a loom is to try and find a good auto-electrician with experience of older cars to inspect the electrical system, like someone else on here did recently. A qualified person would be able to assess whether it needs a new loom or no - or possibly diagnose a simple repair. (Most of) the wiring in my car is 65 years old but I have had no problems with the loom in the 20 years since I bought the car, other than replacing a bunch of bullet connectors in the boot area.
Of course, it will be frustrating to pay an auto-electrician to tell you you need a new loom! Maybe there is a local club branch near to Andy with a member willing to take a look....
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well that’s a consideration but for future reliability I’d go for new wiring. Of course, it’s up to the OP.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

As Les said, now.
I still have it in there with a regulator and fuse box... I haven't pulled the trigger yet because the usual excuse - Money! I decided that a £500 runabout would be a better investment incase Eugene is drivebound for time
The only flaw in that argument, is that it is a £500 Audi, by which I take to mean it's a few years old.
Which means it may want fixing / tyres / consumables (oil etc) in the near future.
Which eats into your budget even more.
Add into that tax and insurance, not to mention putting fuel into it and before you know it your limited budget for the Morris is zeroed out............
If you want to use her as a regular car, don't spend out on one that could maroon her on the drive for years, because (so called) logic will always dictate that the newer car is where you should spend your money.
Bite the bullet, take a couple of weeks off, buy the new loom and other bits and properly fix the one you really want to be seen about town in.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Can I see a Minor for sale soon? :D

Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

jagnut66 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:54 pm
As Les said, now.
I still have it in there with a regulator and fuse box... I haven't pulled the trigger yet because the usual excuse - Money! I decided that a £500 runabout would be a better investment incase Eugene is drivebound for time
The only flaw in that argument, is that it is a £500 Audi, by which I take to mean it's a few years old.
Which means it may want fixing / tyres / consumables (oil etc) in the near future.
Which eats into your budget even more.
Add into that tax and insurance, not to mention putting fuel into it and before you know it your limited budget for the Morris is zeroed out............
If you want to use her as a regular car, don't spend out on one that could maroon her on the drive for years, because (so called) logic will always dictate that the newer car is where you should spend your money.
Bite the bullet, take a couple of weeks off, buy the new loom and other bits and properly fix the one you really want to be seen about town in.
Best wishes,
Mike.
The Audi is thankfully not a regular driver. I walk to work and new development, I managed to get my bike fixed today! The Audi is for those journeys that neither foot nor bike can manage, and a big plus, the seller is a car nut colleague of mine who I share a lot of motor shenanigans with. It's been looked after and is just surplus to his requirements. It'll do the job until I get Eugene back on the road!

I feel much more positive about everything after seeing both the price of a loom (+ regulator and fuse box) and also fixing my bike. It shouldn't take long to sort.
les wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:30 pm Can I see a Minor for sale soon? :D
You can get stuffed! :lol: I wouldn't ever sell Eugene!
Eugene - My daily driver
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I wouldn't ever sell Eugene!
Wait until you're married before making that statement, that's when so many classics end up in the for sale column.
Once the kids come along and money needs to be prioritised elsewhere, add in the missus saying it's not safe for kids (however did my generation and the ones before it survive to adulthood! :lol: :roll: ), so she won't allow them in it, throw in accusations of selfishness and 'you love that bl**dy car more than me' etc. etc....... and before you know it......... :wink:
Of course not every marriage is like that...... :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I remember one old-timer commenting on my car thus: "I used to have one of them." He then added, somewhat cryptically "Sold it when I got married - biggest mistake I ever made."
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

[quote= "Sold it when I got married - biggest mistake I ever made."
[/quote]
Getting married or selling the car? :o

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

That's the question isn't it?..............
You'd of had to have seen that old boys face / expression at the time to have any chance of working that out.
As 'myoldjalopy' said 'cryptic'..........
Best wishes,
Mike.
Last edited by jagnut66 on Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.