Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Battery

Post by stuffedpike20 »

I have acquired a 60ah battery recently. I know it is too big for my standard minor set up with a dynamo, but what would be the consequences of fitting it ?
Would the dynamo fail to charge it completely?
I am not very good at electrics.
Thanks, John.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Battery

Post by oliver90owner »

No ‘consequences’ at all. As long as it fits and is secured correctly.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

No problems. It's not 'too big'.
Think of it as the difference between putting Supermarket own brand batteries in a torch, compared with the ones that run the Bunny :wink:
The original battery spec, was, according to the manual 43 Ah, or for some reason 1098 engines had only 40Ah.. :-?
Ah is the amperage (power) the battery will provide for 1 hour. A 40/43 Ah battery will have a CCA of around 320-380 amp.

Basil has a standard Dynamo system and a 60Ah battery.
I've had him 3 years and he was already fitted with a type 005R, which is 60Ah & CCA 510amps.
(Ideally, Basil should have a 005L, to put the connections the other way around, as the posts are at the front.)

CCA is an important number as it's the Cold Cranking Amps. Different manufacturers of 60AH batteries will have different CCAs.
CCA is a measurement of the current a fully charged battery can deliver for 30 seconds and maintain a voltage of 7.2 volts (12 volt battery) at a temperature of -18°C.

So you can get batteries that are the same Ah, but their ability to turn an engine over on a cold morning will depend on their CCA.

Think of the 60Ah as being an indicator of how long the battery will give you a bit of extra electrical power on a dark winter night when the dynamo is running at max ability.
While the CCA is the ability of the battery to start it on the cold morning.

If the one you have acquired is serviceable, it'll be fine.
Basil the 1955 series II

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Likewise I have a 77 amp hour hard rubber battery fitted to mine which spins the starter motor very fast... this battery also completely fills the battery tray nicely.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Thanks for the (very detailed geoberni) advice everyone.