Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
akuchanny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Late type heater issues with wiring

Post by akuchanny »

Hi guys I am having a nightmare with my 61’ 2 door currently. So any help would be hugely appreciated.....

So I’ve made a fair few additions to the car, but have not cut into or changed the original loom everything has been made in separate sub looms - so before I start I don’t think this is the issue.

Basically I have a later square type heater in the car and (ironically) on the way for a inspection at a local garage the heater matrix blew making the car into a very wet and damp sauna. I managed to limp home after a few stops, but during the drive and stops the hazards / indicators seemed to stop working (the stalk end stopped flashing as did the hazard switch) I thought that this could be the flasher unit (it’s ancient) and started pulling the heater out and opening up the dash so it could dry when I got home ad it was soaked.

The wiring has dried out and the battery has been disconnected the whole time. (Three weeks) and cat litter was used to soak up antifreeze and a huge sock full of cat litter and a tray of it is in the car to catch any further moisture.

Now I have stripped and rebuilt / and painted the heater casing and motor, and fitted a new matrix, bench tested it and re fit it. Now the fun starts!

No heater fan power at all. I’ve checked the continuity of the cables with a meter and the switch they are all good. The earth has also been checked it seems good also. The green (in this case) with a brown stripe cable coming from the speedo cluster that powered the heater is getting power once connected - nothing.

I wired the heater directly to the battery and back to life. I checked the green and brown power cable and it’s working. Fitted a test lamp and it was flashing, then I noticed that the indicator stalk was push and this was causing the flashing. Now I haven’t touched the indicator at all apart from moving the column switch to pull out the glove box liner so am completely baffled by this. After seeing this, and no flashing stalk I changed the flasher unit, and then ran out of daylight.

Ive charged the battery and will try starting the car tomorrow to see if that’s all okay but wanted to hear if anyone had any ideas or suggestions that would be great as I am now very confused by this.

Thanks

Andy
Akuchanny
61' modified minor
71' Reliant Scimitar
akuchanny
Minor Fan

Re: Late type heater issues with wiring

Post by akuchanny »

Just bumping this to see if anyone has any ideas
Akuchanny
61' modified minor
71' Reliant Scimitar
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Re: Late type heater issues with wiring

Post by oliver90owner »

I expect most would have been awaiting a further report from you - as per the last sentence of your post? There may not be anything much to comment on.