Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
PhilAllen
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Fitting headlamps

Post by PhilAllen »

I'm hoping someone with more experience than me can give me an answer to enable me to progress as I've got stuck!

When I bought my car it had no wings and hence no headlamps. I'm now at the point where the newly painted second hand wings are on and I have nice new headlamps to fit to them. I've fitted the adjusters that go between the inner and outer bowls (hopefully with the adjusters in the right place, I assume the bowl is suitable for left and right hadn't drive) but I can't work out where the spring (the one with 3 coil segments) goes. Can anyone shed some light(!) please? I've had a search around but not been able to find a photo that shows the spring and the exploded diagrams from the parts suppliers aren't specific enough.
IMG_20201220_122220353.jpg
IMG_20201220_122220353.jpg (560.29 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
The photo shows a bowl which (I think) is the right way up to go on the car. There is a bracket at the back of the outer bowl and then 3 holes in the edge of the inner bowl at roughly 3, 5, and 9 o'clock. Does the spring go between 2 of those (that seems most likely to me)? If so, which 2?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Fitting headlamps

Post by ManyMinors »

The type of headlamp you have is the later type for the sealed beam type headlamp. It appears to be assembled correctly so far - although the wiring is not yet fitted as far as I can see? The retaining spring which holds the inner bowl into the outer bowl should be stretched from the tag at the back of the outer bowl (probably with pointed-nose pliers) and attached to the closest of the little holes in the inner bowl.
I would probably fit the headlamp wiring loom into the outer bowl first and then the outer bowl and gasket into the wing while you still have decent access to the screw heads. Only after that would I fit the inner bowl and the securing spring. That way, you have better access to the screw heads and you will find fitting that spring easier if the bowl is firmly mounted.
Make sure you have fitted the securing tag and speed nut at the bottom of the outer bowl, which will grip the securing screw for the outer rim later.
Looks OK so far though.
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by mogbob »

Phil
Just to add to your reference material moss-europe.co.uk have both free " paper " and "digital " parts & accessories books.
Specifically headlights pages 56 & 57 ( Issue 11 ) two types shown A and B
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/media/pdf/MM2019.pdf

Lucas headlights were the default headlights for the vast majority of 60 / 70's car manufacturers.
You tube has a few offerings : - search
Lotus Elan assembly ( first 5 minutes or so )
Classic Mini DIY Headlight Replacement
Fitting new headlights to TR4

Good advice from ManyMinors
Don't forget a light dab of grease on the threads , particularly the adjuster screws to keep the rust away.
Good luck with the final steps to finish off.
Bob
PhilAllen
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by PhilAllen »

Thanks very much to both of you for your replies, that's just what I needed.

I've been applying copper grease to all bolts and general grease to what I think might benefit from it all along - I work on the basis it might be me dismantling it next and I'd be really annoyed if things rusted up because I'd not used anything.

I will fit the outer bowl first. I was only trying assembly first away from the car as there's no risk of damaging the new paint while I mess about that way.

Thanks again,

Phil