Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Time traveller
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Indicator stalk

Post by Time traveller »

Hello, is there anyone out there can help. For what ever reason the wiring on the indicator stalk of a 1968 traveller keeps blowing the fuse. Does anyone have any pictures of what should connect to where on the stalk itself. I have two wires loose and not sure where they go. I’m not an electrician as you will have already guessed, but if someone can simplify things I will follow. Thank you Paul.
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Indicator stalk

Post by geoberni »

Well if there are 2 wires loose, it's a good bet they might be the problem.

Any chance of a photo so people can see exactly what you're seeing?
Trying to do this sort of thing without a photo is a bit like trying to do it in a darkened room wearing sunglasses.
You haven't even said what colours the loose wires are.

if I recall, there are 5 wires on that switch (my own car doesn't have a stalk, it's too old).
Basil the 1955 series II

Time traveller
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Time traveller »

Yes sorry about that. I wont be able to go to her yet, but what I do know, are that you are right there are five wires. The three in the middle are still connected and they are for the indicators. The two that are not connected, one is a black and white one which comes down the indicator stalk. The other is a black one with a ring spade on the end. I hope that this helps, if not the next time I go I will take a picture. Thank you for your time, Paul.
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

Is the Horn on the stalk, or the indicator tell-tale lamp? I suspect you have the former.

The colours don't match the wiring diagram exactly, so perhaps it's not an original item. I think Mini colours were slightly different.

If it was Purple/Black, I'd say Horn, as that's the colours for a switched earth, i.e. the switch is after the component, not before it in the circuit.
The Black with a ring tag is the Earth.
Basil the 1955 series II