Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dudload
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Rivets on heater motor

Post by dudload »

Afternoon all, been a while

After much procrastinating I’ve finally taken my heater out to resolve the squealing in winter when I turn it on.

Have everything out and looks like I did it just in time, the matrix must have a very slow leak as there’s rust everywhere. Now, I’m trying to get at the motor, but it appears to be riveted on to the casing.

Question is, what should I do here? Not a fan of drilling them out, as guess I’d have to replace with nuts and bolts....

I’ve also bought a 3 inch bilge pump in case it can’t be resolved! Question will be where to mount it!
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Rivets on heater motor

Post by geoberni »

Not having removed my heater, and it's after-market model anyway, I have no intimate experience of taking a heater apart, but what heater have you got, one of the Smith's round ones, or a square one?

Could you drill the rivets out and them refit it using pop rivets?
Basil the 1955 series II

dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

It’s the standard one on 1098s (is the round heater ones on earlier models like mm?)

Will look into the pop rivets idea, although never a fan of trips to the hardware store!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Just buy your rivets on 'e' bay as I have recently done. Completely hassle free. 8)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312898432572 ... 1618499459

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Heater was an extra on early cars, unless the Super, or whatever the labelled the 'up market version' . Even when factory fit, the round one was used, common to many British cars like the Mini and early LRs.

I think the one you have was introduced along with the Elephants Trunk in the mid 60s.
Basil the 1955 series II