Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Oldmogman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

'All-in' timing for 1275?

Post by Oldmogman »

Could anyone recommend the number of degrees ‘all-in’ advance and appropriate revs for setting the ignition timing on a 1275 Marina engine?

I understand that checking ignition timing ‘all-in’ at about 3,000rpm is more accurate than checking at idle speeds. However, the workshop manual doesn’t list figures for this.

My engine is fitted with a Kent 266 cam, higher compression ported head, HIF44 with K&N filter, plus Janspeed exhaust headers. It runs electronic ignition fitted to the original D23 distributor (no vacuum advance).

Thanks all!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: 'All-in' timing for 1275?

Post by philthehill »

The only way you will get the timing right is to road test the vehicle. The modifications you have listed will have a considerable impact on the 'all in' timing.
I would recommend that you set the timing at 28 to 32 degrees at 5,200 rpm (taken from the Marina wksp Man Pt No: AKM4580) and go from there.

Oldmogman
Minor Fan

Post by Oldmogman »

Thanks Phil, that's great.

I take it you mean setting the all-in timing as a starting point, and then tweaking it on the road?

(I was concerned about high-speed detonation caused by over-advanced timing, which is apparently very difficult to detect.)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Yes - as a starting point. As that is the max advance and quoted in the manual you can work backwards (or leave as is) if necessary by road testing.