Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Water temp sender in spacer plate

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I've just spotted this:
Water temp sender fitting on spacer.jpg
Water temp sender fitting on spacer.jpg (145.75 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
It seems a very good way of getting round the fact that a 948 head has no aperture to screw a water temp sender into.
However what is the extra outlet pipe for?
And can it be put to use on a Minor?
The fitting was originally intended for a classic Mini.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Water temp sender in spacer plate

Post by philthehill »

The additional outlet is there to allow the flow of coolant around the head via the heater. The late heads did not have the facility to install a thermostat unless the spacer was used. The flow of coolant through the heater valve was continuous and only when the heater valve was set to heat did hot coolant flow through the heater matrix.
I have fitted a similar spacer to enable me to fit a thermostat. The spacer fitted to my engine does not have the temp gauge take off but is similar in all other aspects. I have shortened and blanked off the additional pipe with a brass plug. Coolant on my engine flows from the rear of the head to a oil/coolant intercooler and then back to the top hose.
Having the spacer makes the thermostat housing/cover too high for connecting to the Minor radiator inlet pipe. I do not have that problem as the radiator which is an Vauxhall Astra alloy item is located below the boot floor & just behind the rear axle .
Thermostat housing 4.JPG
Thermostat housing 4.JPG (1.42 MiB) Viewed 1208 times
Thermostat housing 5.JPG
Thermostat housing 5.JPG (1.61 MiB) Viewed 1206 times

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Having the spacer makes the thermostat housing/cover too high for connecting to the Minor radiator inlet pipe.
Another option then would be a classic mini housing which has been drilled and tapped for a sender, although these all seem to be out of stock at present.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... egUIARCkAg
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... egUIARDJAw
This would site the end of the sender too far into the housing though, wouldn't it?
So maybe the Moss spacer would be required?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... egUIARCkAQ
All academic, of course, without the housing....
I have often thought it strange that the 948 engine had no aperture for a water temperature sender though.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

It was never part of the design, neither for Austin or Morris, adding unnecessary costs to a cheap car. You would soon become aware of overheating, no point watching a thermometer worrying about a few degrees movement as some people do.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:44 pm You would soon become aware of overheating...
That’s the whole point though isn’t it? To alert the driver to potential problems before they get worse.

I’m certain my old 998cc 1986 Austin mini had a temp gauge as standard, so British Leyland thought it a good idea?

Of course it’s not essential...but it is useful.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com