Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Grumpy21
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Indicator stalk repair

Post by Grumpy21 »

I’ve had a look at the search and can’t find anyone who has attempted to repair the stalk.

Mine was working ok turning left but infrequently turning right, a little jiggling got it to work. It’s progressively worsened to the point where it rarely works at all now in either direction.

I assume there some type of wiper that makes contact with perhaps copper ‘blobs’ at the ends of the wires. These may well have worn or corroded

I’d rather try to repair than replace if possible

Thanks
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Indicator stalk repair

Post by Sleeper »

Is it like this....
20190301_161918.jpg
20190301_161918.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 1143 times
Sorry but it's the only piccie I have of it, after altering the " tell-tale " lamp , but you can see the problems with old wiring and old solder..

John ;-)
Grumpy21
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Indicator stalk repair

Post by Grumpy21 »

Thanks John. Not the same as yours but I’ve traced what I think is the problem. The live feed connector was very frayed with only one or two filaments still intact. I can only assume that the current was simply too much for the flimsy wire to conduct to the flasher unit. Wiring restored and all is well. I subsequently fitted a solid state flasher relay in preparation for converting to led indicator bulbs. Again all working well and brighter than before too

Cheers

Gary