Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

points again

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Many years ago, when unleaded petrol took over from 4 star, I was told by an old classic car enthusiast to statically set the timing and then retard the ignition by 30 clicks on the adjuster wheel to make up for the unleaded petrol 'burning hotter' than 4 star.

Does this make sense to anyone?
I am not very good at dwell angles etc.

Thanks, John.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Re: points again

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

There is a lot of ill-informed nonsense bandied about in respect of old cars. On the contrary, you want to advance the ignition as far as practicable to get the best performance from the engine. Retarding it too far actually makes the engine run hotter.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Thanks Basil.

Would you make any changes to timing if changing from unleaded petrol to super unleaded?
Edward1949
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Edward1949 »

stuffedpike20 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:06 am Thanks Basil.

Would you make any changes to timing if changing from unleaded petrol to super unleaded?
It is possible that using higher Octane fuel will permit a slight advance in timing. This can result in improved performance and economy. The other (highly topical) advantage of premium grade fuels is that some brands will continue to maintain Ethanol content at just 5%.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Thanks Edward.

Yes, today is the day that unleaded becomes E10.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Edward1949 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:54 am
stuffedpike20 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:06 am Thanks Basil.

It is possible that using higher Octane fuel will permit a slight advance in timing. This can result in improved performance and economy. The other (highly topical) advantage of premium grade fuels is that some brands will continue to maintain Ethanol content at just 5%.
Just to endorse this - absolutely right. Using the higher octane fuel means that you should be able to get away with a little more advance due to the higher octane rating, without risk of pre-ignition or pinking.

Regarding adjusting the timing to suit unleaded, I remember that that was done to cars in the late 80s when unleaded came out - my dad's Mk II Cavalier went in for a timing 'adjustment' to ready it for running on unleaded, as did many other newish cars of the time. I suspect it was just retarding the timing a little to compensate for the fact that the unleaded is has an octane rating of 95, whereas the 4 star it essentially replaced had an octane rating of 97.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

If you advance the timing too much, is it possible to ruin the engine by getting it too near to top dead centre?

Sorry if this is an obvious question; as I have said, I am not good on this subject.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

stuffedpike20 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:09 pm If you advance the timing too much, is it possible to ruin the engine by getting it too near to top dead centre?
You've got it backwards I'm afraid. Advancing the timing causes the spark to occur further away from top dead centre; retarding it causes it to happen closer to TDC.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

I was thinking that advancing meant advancing the spark.

Told you I didn't know much about it. :o
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Yes, it does mean advancing the spark; causing it to happen earlier in the combustion cycle, ie. while the piston is further away during its trip towards top dead centre.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

If you advance the spark too much, it will cause 'pinking'. Advance it more and it will start knocking - and eventually cause engine damage.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

stuffedpike20 if you're still a bit mystified by it all this clip should help clear the fog:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu7g3uIG6Zo
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Thank you MM and everyone.

To my brain the whole thing is counter-intuitive. Purely mechanically speaking, if ignition occurs before TDC, surely the engine runs backwards? :o

Lets leave it all alone now.....I'll get me coat.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

As described many times before by the long departed .BMC ECCOSS

Slacken the dizzy clamp bolt so that it just holds but can be turned (Just) by hand. Take the car out and drive it,advance the timing untill on hard acceleration or a moderate uphill ,the engine pinks,stop , and progressively retard the timing,drive and stop and retard untill the pinking stops. Tighten the bolt. The engine is now timed to the best you can taking into account any wear and tear in dizzy, points, engine,petrol etc Simples..

Can't run backwards because the starter motor spins it in the forwards direction,if too far advanced the engine will just bump and stop the rotation.
Last edited by kennatt on Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apolaustic
Minor Friendly

Post by Apolaustic »

stuffedpike20 - don’t get your coat! It’s because there’s a delay between the spark and the explosive effect, during which delay the piston continues its travel towards TDC … thus it’s (all being well) in the right place when it becomes subject to the explosive force 🙂.
Apolaustic
1966 white/red convertible (1098cc with alternator, electronic ignition & brake servo)
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Yes. I understand that now. :D

Thanks, John.