Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
simonswaffield
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Indicators

Post by simonswaffield »

I wonder if anyone has any bright ideas...

Foolishly, I have replaced my indicator with a Lucas - like for like but the new one self cancels - something I never managed to achieve.

Everything working fine on the front, but I've lost everything at the back (lights in any form)

And yet I've just put one in and taken one out - weird??

The only difference between the old and new indicators is that the old one had a short earth doubling back onto the steering column. The new one just earths to the body.

Should I have tweaked the wiring at the DB10 regulator in some way?

Flasher unit not at faulty because the front works ?

Help !!!!
simmitc

Re: Indicators

Post by simmitc »

Just to clarify, that "replaced my indicator" means that you've fitted a new switch?

Also, "lost everything at the back (lights in any form)" means no brake lights, tail/side lights as well as no indicators, or just indicators?

What year is the car? There are some small variations in wiring, but mostly the same, just want to double check.

Most likely, when changing the switch, you had to disconnect some bullet connectors behind the glovebox. There should be green/white wires to the right hand indicators and green/red to the left. The male bullet connectors from the switch go in to separate 4-way female sockets. From each 4-way connector should be one wire going to the front of the car and one to the rear. If you have pulled out the wires to the rear, then those lights won't work; so start by checking those connectors.
simonswaffield
Minor Friendly

Post by simonswaffield »

Thanks Simmtic,

Yes, just a new switch (stalk).

I did make sure all the bullet connectors were still in situ but it does sound like this is the place to go back to.

At the moment the o/s rear will indicate but no lights or brake lights at the back

Why oh why did I do it...
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

It sounds like you have disturbed s couple of wires in the same area, Have a look at the wiring diagram in the manual and/or here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=28295

Follow the wires to where the junctions are, and check that all is secure. There are junctiond in the boot, but they should not have been disturbed if you were working only in the dashboard area.

If ALL lights in a cluster fail, then it could be a poor earth connection, and don;t forget the possibility of a blown lamp (bulb). A multimeter is a useful tool to check for continuity and voltage, and thus help pinpoint where loose connections might lie.
simonswaffield
Minor Friendly

Post by simonswaffield »

Just by way of an update...

All the connectors are firm and fixed where they should be

It's a 1963 car, DB10 working fine, but still no lights/brake lights and no rear r/h indicator

:(
simonswaffield
Minor Friendly

Post by simonswaffield »

Thanks Simmtic
simonswaffield
Minor Friendly

Post by simonswaffield »

Further news...edge of your seat stuff here!

Tried out a spare DB10 - no difference

No blown bulbs, no loose wires, earth OK

So, left with no driver's side rear indicator, no back lights and no brake lights

Truly stumped
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by mogbob »

It's time to break out the Multimeter as Simmitc has suggested. Having confirmed continuity on the bulbs ,work back from the nearest connector ( with the side lights switched on) that you have full battery volts , cica 12. ? volts.
With an assistant switch off side lights and ignition on ( not for too long or you'll overheat the coil ) press the brake pedal. Do your voltage checks at each connector in the wiring system. No assistant available then wedge
the brake pedal down with a heavy object or suitable lengths of wood.
Be systematic in the checking , don't leap from one thing to another. Turn the ignition off asap after the brake light checking.
If you find any connectors are rusty at all , (lights switched off ) clean connector and bullets and replace the wires.
You'll find the problem.
Bob