Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alexmcguffie
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Seperating rusty bullet connectors?

Post by alexmcguffie »

As mentioned above, dip the bullets in silicone grease or similar before re-fitting them and you'll be fine for years.

Regarding soldering, its generally frowned up on. I design motorsport chassis looms and everything is crimped. Solder can create brittle weak points that will eventually fail. Once you've got the right too, crimping is also easier!
Glad to be back!
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

I only ever solder the ends (where the wire sticks through the bullet connector) after crimping, to keep the wire in place. Mostly if I think the wire is a bit thin for the connector.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
MCYorks
Minor Fan

Post by MCYorks »

alexmcguffie wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:10 pm
Regarding soldering, its generally frowned up on. I design motorsport chassis looms and everything is crimped. Solder can create brittle weak points that will eventually fail. Once you've got the right too, crimping is also easier!
Nothing wrong with soldering if it's done correctly, but crimping is more easily automated and quicker in a production situation. Plus you don't have to buy solder, and deal with flux and fume extraction :wink:

Trouble is I've seen too many DIY jobs where someone has used the wrong crimping tool or connector for the cable size.

There are several soldered connections on my Moggy, which are still going strong after 50+ years! However, I have seen some Lucas connectors that were neither soldered or crimped, but actually resistance welded 8)
taupe
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by taupe »

If your connectors are badly corroded cut them out and replace

If they are just tight you can warm up with a hot air gun and slide off or slit the PVC or rubber sleeve and pry the side of the connector free from the bullet with a small screwdriver or blade.

A great variety of kits for replacement parts and various tools can be bought here:

https://www.autosparks.co.uk/electrical-components

I generally prefer solder bullets and the tinned type such as those made by Ripaults.

or these which I think are brass type

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/ ... category/6

TAUPE
W. A. Traveller

Post by W. A. Traveller »

Just a couple of things:

WD-40 will not attack rubber but is not a great conductor either. It does tend to go 'sticky' after a time so is not the best for door locks or ratchet screwdrivers.

Rubber grease (I use Castrol GRR) will keep water out but again is no great conductor.

Metal based high temperature 'never seize' is a pretty good conductor, corrosion preventative and very good on the horn slip ring. Wipe away excess at each location.
My Cars:
BMWs 730,735,740 (matching trailer),750 and X5 4.4
Jaguar E Type V12 manual
Daimler and matching trailer
Minor Traveller
Alvis Stalwart :o