Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
nwxh
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Cigarette Lighter Central Connection

Post by nwxh »

geoberni wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:26 pm I thought 4.7mm was the contact width for the spade terminals. Can't say I've ever encountered different sizes of Red Bullet :-?
From a quick look at two suppliers, it seems that the red ones are indeed always 4mm and the brass "Lucas style" are 4.7mm. Until I read this topic, I was vaguely aware of different bullet sizes but not the details.
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

nwxh wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:06 pm
geoberni wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:26 pm I thought 4.7mm was the contact width for the spade terminals. Can't say I've ever encountered different sizes of Red Bullet :-?
From a quick look at two suppliers, it seems that the red ones are indeed always 4mm and the brass "Lucas style" are 4.7mm. Until I read this topic, I was vaguely aware of different bullet sizes but not the details.
That would explain it, the old 'Lucas' brass ones would undoubtedly be an imperial size.
I don't believe there was/is an actual 'Lucas' Female single connector, I think their system used a female 'through connector' to insert a male at either end.
Lucas.JPG
Lucas.JPG (15.59 KiB) Viewed 558 times
Basil the 1955 series II

W. A. Traveller

Post by W. A. Traveller »

That under-size connector is a common fit on may Japanese cars.

A quick trip to a wreckers and 10 minutes with a soldering iron and some shrink sleeve.

Make sure you fuse everything.
My Cars:
BMWs 730,735,740 (matching trailer),750 and X5 4.4
Jaguar E Type V12 manual
Daimler and matching trailer
Minor Traveller
Alvis Stalwart :o
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The connectors are Ripaults and a special pair of pliers was used to crimp the nipple. The pliers had a stop to ensure that the pliers did not over cramp/squash the nipple. To assemble the nipple to the connector again a special pair of Ripaults pliers was used.
You could get Ripaults rubber covered connectors in at least single, double and triple single sizes.