Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Napoleon Boot
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Extra lighting for Travellers

Post by Napoleon Boot »

Rather than another plea for help, I wanted to post a success story for a change!

I wasn't that impressed by the lighting inside the cabin of my Traveller when I got it, which consisted of one festoon bulb which was too dim to read a map with. Replacing it with an LED festoon bulb from Classic Car LEDs made a big difference - loads more light, less heat, and less strain on the battery and the old wiring. (I got this one https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collec ... 39-254-c5w)

The load area and the passenger seats were still a bit gloomy though, not great when searching for something in the back after dark. I looked around, and came across these little LED lights, which are sold as step lights for caravans or boats, but which looked like they'd fit nicely above the rear sliding windows in the back of my Traveller. https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/12v-24v- ... eries.html

When they arrived, they fit perfectly! I ran wiring from the courtesy light switch, under the headlining and behind the wooden trim - the wires enter the sealed light units from behind so it's really neat and tidy. I chose warm white, and it matches the new courtesy light bulb in colour and brightness.
IMG_8290.jpg
IMG_8290.jpg (168.98 KiB) Viewed 4525 times
IMG_8287.jpg
IMG_8287.jpg (338.6 KiB) Viewed 4525 times
I did consider rigging some sort of switch so that I could switch on the lights from the rear doors, but really it would have been a load of hassle for no real benefit - I just switch the courtesy light switch on if I need them. Current draw is 0.03A each, so all three lights are drawing less current than the filament bulb did on it's own.

I'm really happy with this upgrade, the light fittings have the right period look and feel like they could have always been there.

NB - no connection to either company, just a satisfied customer.

Seb
1971 Adderley Park Traveller, "Peggy". 1098 engine, automatic transmission
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Re: Extra lighting for Travellers

Post by Sleeper »

Nice one, they " look the part " .

John ;-)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Indeed, they look like a period option and fit in well. :D
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Napoleon Boot
Minor Fan

Post by Napoleon Boot »

Cheers guys!

Seb
1971 Adderley Park Traveller, "Peggy". 1098 engine, automatic transmission
King Kenny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by King Kenny »

They look really nice. Years ago I fitted a switchable light above the rear doors, but it was not as smart as the ones you have.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
timberman2004
Minor Friendly

Post by timberman2004 »

i saw this ...and went slightly mad with it
These are lovely little lights, and i felt quite in keeping with the Traveller
so for a small investment and playing with the electrical spaghetti...,
I now have button switched reading lights each side for the rear seat ...
A pair of lights each side in the rear load bay sprung switched as the rear doors open. All wiring invisible behind top timber headlining strip
A light in glove box with button switch (really useful)
and 2 lights mounted on engine bulkhead L & R, to light engine area, switched inside with illuminated toggle
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Good idea looks nice as well