Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Books on restoring Morris Minors

Post by wibble_puppy »

Hi Image

I keep typing out the same info in response to people's queries about which books on restoration have been useful, so I thought to save time i'll post it here and then I can just point peeps to this thread! and other peeps can add to it 8)

ok as some of you know I'm a van person :D so this is from the POV of someone restoring a van, and also I haven't done my own welding or painting on this job so I can't comment on the coverage of those aspects in these books. When I started out I knew absolutely nothing about cars or how to restore them. I still know very little, but what little I do know is down to advice on this forum and the books I've read - and my small practical experience!

Anyway the books I've found useful are:

"Morris Minor Restoration, Preparation, Maintenance" by Jim Tyler, published by Osprey Automotive 1995, ISBN 1 85532 471 7. I love this because the guy who wrote it is living in the real world and doesn't assume you have an immaculate workshop and all the latest equipment - also he has a strong and down-to-earth sense of humour. The many photos are useful and feature the author sporting an admirable bushy beard. The state of his project car will also make you feel LOTS better about the state of your own vehicle. You may be able to find a copy without a heavy smell of cigarette smoke (thanks a lot aupickup :roll: :evil: :wink: ). It's out of print, which is a scandal, but is available secondhand on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Morris-Minor-Re ... F8&s=books

Lindsay Porter's book is ok, it's humourless and uninspirational but it does have the only description I've found of the location of the bolts which hold the back and cab to the chassis in an LCV. "Morris Minor & 1000 - Guide to Purchase & DIY Restoration" by Lindsay Porter, published by Foulis/Haynes, 1985, ISBN 0 85429 442 2. As far as I know the 2001 edition is of the same book - look on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_b/2 ... x=2&Go.y=8 for both editions. Watch out that you follow the numbered steps accurately as they are badly laid out and it's easy to find yourself under the car, spanner in hand, completely foxed by inadvertently going from step iv to step viii.

Now and then the Haynes workshop manual has come in useful, even though it's generally scorned, it's worth picking one up secondhand I think.

I've also got a CD, available from the LCV Register, which contains scanned PDF files of the original BMC Workshop Manual, Service Parts List and Handbook. Obviously this is just for LCVs. http://www.minorlcvreg.co.uk/

When restoring engine components I've found the following useful:

"Morris Minor" by D V W Francis, part of the "Illustrated Car Servicing Series for Owner Drivers" published by Hamlyn, I have the second edition, 1971, ISBN 0 600 42181 3. Excellent black-and-white photos accompanying straightforward and detailed text describing, inter alia, how to take bits apart and put them back together again clean and shiny - thanks to Nicky P for the recommendation 8)

"Repairing and Restoring Classic Car Components" by Peter and John Wallage, published by Haynes, 2001, ISBN 1 85960 694 6. Not as useful as it sounds but worth getting from the library. Chapters cover workshop practice (including safety and proper use of tools), distributors, dynamos, alternators, fuel pumps, starter motors, wiper motors, trafficators, horns, carburettors, locks, heaters and instruments. Good line drawings and excellent colour photos throughout.

"Classic Car Electrical Systems Repair Manual" by Dave Pollard, published by, yep, you guessed it, Haynes, 1999, ISBN 1 85960 433 1. Comprehensive and stuffed with useful information and tips, written in a human tone of voice. Chapters cover safety, tool use, basic principles and techniques, batteries, ignition, dynamos, alternators, starter motors, wipers, lighting, horns, accessories, radios, security and wiring looms. Some fairly useful line drawings and black-and-white photos. Includes a glossary and a useful contacts (groan) list.

Well I hope that helps a few people! and please add comments and/or your own recommendations :D

wibble Image
Last edited by wibble_puppy on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

Another three books to recommend:

How to Restore and Customize [american...] Auto Upholstery & Interiors by Dennis W Parks, published by Motorbooks, MBI Publishing Co 2005, ISBN-13 978 0 7603 2043 3: ISBN-10 0 7603 2043 8. Seems pretty thorough, and funkily and copiously illustrated in colour with pics of car interiors as well as pics of the processes involved in working on seats, headlinings, hoods, door cards, carpets and so on.

I absolutely loved Classic Car Interior Restoration Guide by Kim Henson, published by Haynes 1995 & 1997, ISBN 1 85010 932 X. The beastly library made me give it back as someone else wanted it - if that was you then you smell of old ladies' wee.

Also a mate has lent me a copy of the Haynes Car Bodywork Repair Manual (third edition) by Lindsay Porter, Haynes Publishing 2000, ISBN 1 85960 657 1. The usual Haynes format, including loads of small b/w photos, hefty and apparently very thorough, although I've not had to use it in anger. Covers welding, panel-beating and painting.

Hope all this is useful to someone! lol :D

wibble 8)
Last edited by wibble_puppy on Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluestroke

Re: Books on restoring Morris Minors

Post by bluestroke »

Seen on E-bay Morris Minor Modification Manual by Owen Burton, I tried Amazon but no joy, does anyone have a copy? Cheers Nick
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Eric - 1971 Traveller
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

beware - some of the old OB information is not accurate.......
ImageImage
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

I thought it was just that some of the parts numbers have now changed but the rest of the content is accurate?

Eric - 1971 Traveller
ttwlr
Minor Friendly

Post by ttwlr »

I found a book that looks good
Morris Minor & 1000 :guide to purchase & DIY restoration /Lindsay Porter.
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

bmcecosse wrote:beware - some of the old OB information is not accurate.......
Care to name any specifics?
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
TFM150K
Minor Fan

Post by TFM150K »

Chipper wrote:
bmcecosse wrote:beware - some of the old OB information is not accurate.......
Care to name any specifics?
Please?
twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

Just seen the price of the Jim Tyler book on Amazon. GULP!
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

twincamman wrote:Just seen the price of the Jim Tyler book on Amazon. GULP!
one currently on ebay at 8.00 including postage
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

Haynes do a good one and is cheap on ebay