When grinding, wear eye protection

Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alanworland »

Crikey! Reading this it's a wonder anything gets done at with us lot! Iv'e been there with a bit of swarf stuck on my eye ball which was removed with a scalpel! while my head was clamped in a jig. You generally only do it the once.
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Oh, I dunno - I've managed it twice :(
youngun
Minor Addict

Post by youngun »

steve4063 wrote:yes i did have a bit of metal in mine
that'll teach me again :-? lol
popped up the eye infirmary in wolves sunday well kool thats all they do is eyes
took 50 mins from when i left home to have it picked out with a needle and back home again.

still blurred tho and painful but it'll get better hopefully

must remember to wear glasses :o

Well i hate to say i told you so :D Glad your ok!
My eye is now back to normal, and i now have a large stack of safety goggles next to the mog so i never forget to put them on!

YG
Ultimate rust cure for your moggy....paint it brown, at least that way you dont notice the rust as much!!
downsey
Minor Fan

Post by downsey »

My dad had a battery explode in his face once when he was young. He drove all the way to the hospital with blurred vision.
overider
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by overider »

I was using a chisel with a burred over end and when I hit the chisel a bit of the burr broke off and imbedded in my arm. After many attempts of three different doctors digging around in my arm first attempt with no anaesthetic they got it out
HAVE IT! LOVE IT! DRIVE IT!
steve4063
Minor Fan

Post by steve4063 »

overider wrote:I was using a chisel with a burred over end and when I hit the chisel a bit of the burr broke off and imbedded in my arm. After many attempts of three different doctors digging around in my arm first attempt with no anaesthetic they got it out
reading that reminded me of a few years back :-?

i was putting up matques for the summer to help a friend out and they use to use 2 hammers to remove the dance floor area which was screwed down.

one to use the claw and the other to hit the 1st one under the screw head. :o

yep it happened i was working a littlw way away and felt like i'd been shot in my calf it made my leg give way from underneath me it was that forceful and painful.

a bit of the hammer had exploded and shot into my leg proves how unlucky i am with accidents there must of been 6 ppl between me and the bloke using the hammer and it hit me :-?
[img]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/s_mitch6/3.jpg[/img]
overider
Minor Fan

Post by overider »

steve4063 wrote:
overider wrote:proves how unlucky i am with accidents there must of been 6 ppl between me and the bloke using the hammer and it hit me :-?
Defiantly unlucky :-? :-?
Last edited by overider on Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

how about this for lucky escape. Some years ago working under an MGB with a grinder, laid on my back,grinder snagged and jumped away to hit the petrol pipe :o the pipe was copper so did'nt spark :D thought better get out and sort out the leaking petrol which was now all over the garage floor.Banged head in procees and knocked the 240v inspection lamp off the clamp under the car.Saw the lamp falling and,in slow motion
thought thats not good get out as quick as you can.Bulb exploded as lamp hit the floor and the result was an instant ignition of the petrol :o :o Fortunately I had one of the (now banned)halon fire extinguishers.THEY ARE THE ONES THAT DEPLEAT THE AREA OF OXYGEN.including your lungs.A quick two second burst and the fire was instantly out. so was I (I knew of the dangers of halon)I am convinced that had I not had this type of extinguisher,I would have lost car and garage etc. Still have the halon extiguisher.Rang the fire brigade to ask how to get rid of it,they said ring local authority who said ring the fire brigade who said.......... Ill keep it just in case Good luck
overider
Minor Fan

Post by overider »

My brother was welding the inner wing at the top with oxy and acetylene when the roof lining court on fire. He jumped up and picked up the oxy and acetylene bottles one under each arm. He then run out of the garage with them and quickly returned to extinguish the fire. When it was out he sat down and had a breather. He then went to take the oxy and acetylene bottles back in and couldn’t lift the acetylene bottle off the floor. The same one he just lifted under his arm. GOOD STUFF ADRENALIN. 8) 8) 8)
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Mate of mine used to do every bodies welding and one day was underneath an early Granada when he burnt through the fuel pipe. The car was up on ramps in his garage and somehow he managed to get out as there was a nice fire a raging, being fed from the fuel tank! He somehow got the car out of his garage and managed to prevent it burning but the car was GUTTED. Not sure what he told the customer!
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

I chopped down a rather big tree for my mum - she offered to hire a chainsaw for me...
my knowledge of how easy & badly you can injure yourself was far bigger than any knowledge I had of how to use one! Common sense won that day and I used a big bow saw.

I still wish I'd wear goggles more often though :roll: especially when beard trimming
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

chainsaws are fine if you know how to use them. i used to work on a farm for 14 years and did a fair bit of chain saw work.most accidents happen after the tree is felled.the branches can be very springy and it easy to get the saw stuck and people do silly things to get the saw free.you always should ware protective clothing get trained and respect what you are using,it will not respect you gets off soap box.
[sig]5641[/sig]
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

get trained and respect what you are using
completely agree! hence my wish to avoid a chainsaw due to not knowing how to use one.

Angle grinders can be dangerous tools when used wrongly - however I've yet to see even a basic guideline sheet in the box of with new angle grinder. There's always a warning sheet saying to wear protective clothing, however that's only half the issue.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

yes i agree with that i was using a big industrial angle grinder cutting up a old farm cultivator and set my overalls on fire,i had ommitted putting on the heavy suede pinny on top,learnt by my mistakes.thats one thing i have found in life you allways learn different things every day you never stop learning.
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

bigginger wrote:Oh, I dunno - I've managed it twice :(
Nearly the 3rd time today, despite wearing safety glasses - a tiny burn on my eyelid. NOTE TO SELF - buy a new full face shield...
alainmoran
Minor Addict

Post by alainmoran »

Never ever remove the guard off of your grinder, no matter how much easier it is to work with!

I have a lovely a scar and a notch cut out of the bone in my index finger from where a grinder jumped out of my hand and ground its way through, I just thank my stars it was a grinding disc and not a cutting one!

For some reason it always gives me a real queasy feeling to look into the hole of a cut and be able to see the white of the bone.

Similarly, when carrying a very heavy box, never walk backwards out of a cluttered garage, you might drop it on your leg and split the skin ... again exposing the bone!

I'm prolly preaching to the choir here, but always be sure to use the right kind of eye protection.

The soft plastic 'lab glasses' are for low-speed, low temperature impacts, be sure to get some of the hard-plastic sunglasses type or else you may as well not be wearing them (well almost)

Also, with the hard-plastic kind, a quick spray of WD-40 fills in the scratches so that you can see more easily through them ;)
XDB
Minor Fan

Post by XDB »

I ended up in hospital for half a day after a shower at home. I had been grinding and cutting all day and must have washed a sliver of metal into my eye. I can't think of many ways to avoid this.
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

the moral of that one is not to wash 8)
brixtonmorris
Minor Addict

Post by brixtonmorris »

I would like to say "ouch". Also when grinding mask up your windows to stop the hot rock embedding in to your glass.
Helenginger
Minor Friendly

Post by Helenginger »

.... Feeling queezy now....
Helen and Tom
Me and my Moggie "Clover"
1971 2 door saloon Almond Green
XKD 498J
[img]http://i40.tinypic.com/2lxfc6b.jpg[/img]