Bonnet Flash colouring

Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
James Goodwill
MMOC Member: No

Post by James Goodwill »

Top tip.

When you buy a new bonnet flash these days it comes unpainted - the 'red' surrounding the 'M' needs completing.

Now, most owners go to their local model shop, and buy something like a Humbrol 'post office red' paint and set about the job.

Originally the colour wasn't red, it was a burgundy enamel inset.

The solution - Use a nail polish. Now I've done the embarrassing legwork, buy going into Boots the chemist, and wandering through the ladies make-up department.

So, the one you need is by Rimmel, type 061 EXOTICA. It is the correct shade of burgundy, and also has a slightly sparkly effect – much as the original enamel version had.

You need to use plenty of nail polish in the badge channel, and use a sharpened match to ‘push’ it all around the ‘M’. Allow to dry, and scrape off the excess with a Stanley knife blade.

I’ve done mine, and it looks just great. Not totally original, but very close.

James G.
an_avenger
Minor Fan

Post by an_avenger »

Yep I agree - Bored one rainy day (pick a day in the calendar then...!) and coloured it in, it looks delicious!!!!! 8) - I have no embarrasement going into Boots, me being an employee but I can understand :oops: :wink:
Chief
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Chief »

Bringing an old topic back to the light (such an old topic in fact the first post was made in 1970 :o :lol: ) but anyway, You mention the red for the flash (which does look quite good) , but what colour for the blue on the front bonnet badge? :D
brixtonmorris
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by brixtonmorris »

great idea James
southerly95
Minor Fan

Post by southerly95 »

Sorry girls that's not the right colour, this is more like it:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RIMMEL-EXAGGERATE ... dZViewItem

I can't believe this thread lol! :D