Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
meganwilkinson2008
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

WOOD OIL

Post by meganwilkinson2008 »

Hi have recently refreshed the wood on my traveller.After flatting it back to bare wood i have applied two coats of Osmo 410 U V oil and am amazed how good this stuff is.No need to flat between coats and the rain just rolls off like it was varnished.It allows the wood to breath.Did Not want to varnish as it is used in all weathers.Have used many wood finishes and in my opinion this is by far the best. There are obviously other products on the market and i have no connection to Osmo.
Chipper
Minor Addict

Re: WOOD OIL

Post by Chipper »

Interesting. Better than boiled linseed oil, or beeswax, you reckon?
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
Suzie
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Suzie »

Hi I was told to put linseed oil on my morris wood, it's not good, the wood has gone really dark. I've read I can get this off with turpentine. Has anyone got any more (or better) ideas
Many thanks
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I've always found that you need to sand the woodwork right back which is hard work and very time-consuming - once it has deteriorated like that. I don't think turpentine will be much help. As for what to use next, I've always used clear cuprinol first to really give the wood a good soaking in preservative and then whatever finish you prefer. The best I have found myself has been Sikkens Masterstroke but I have heard a few owners say that Osmo oil is very good and would happily try that another time.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I agree with Megan. Osmo is the best that I have used, by far.
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

I suppose the key to all this was "..used in all weathers.." My Traveller is varnished but hardly ever gets wet apart from when I wash it. It hibernates in the winter in a dry Garage. For the moment I will keep it that way.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Yacht varnish.
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Trouble with yacht varnish is, it tends to only last a year or two before moisture gets in underneath and it all flakes off, or worse still, traps the damp next to the wood!

I've found Sikkens Microporous (Cetol) to work well and lasts a good few years.
Last edited by Chipper on Sat May 30, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Suzie wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:33 am Hi I was told to put linseed oil on my morris wood, it's not good, the wood has gone really dark. I've read I can get this off with turpentine. Has anyone got any more (or better) ideas
Many thanks
Did you use plain linseed oil, or boiled linseed oil?
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
Suzie

Post by Suzie »

I used spear and jackson boiled linseed oil
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Strange. I presume you used it on fairly old wood? Maybe there was some trapped moisture in that reacted...
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

OSMO OIL!! Just don't bother with anything else. I used a Skarsten scraper to remove all the old stuff on my Traveller when I got it and gave it two coats of Osmo Oil. That was in about 2010. It was my daily driver for several years through the winters and everything and the wood is still in good condition
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Interesting.
I have to say I have always been wary of buying a traveller because the wood is structural and prone to rotting.
And then expensive and a pain to replace.
But you say this OSMO Oil allows you to use one in all weathers without issue..........
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

Yes I used mine every day to go over Charnwood Forest to Loughborough from Enderby - all through that bad winter we had around 2010/11 ish. It did live in the garage overnight of course but was in the works car park all day and I didn't even dry it off when I put it away after work. I installed traction control (a 3 x 2 slab in the boot!) and sailed up the hills and along all the country roads passing many a modern stranded and abandoned! The skinny tyres just worked really well - I really wish I still had the car actually but there we are.

I had it for around six or seven years altogether and now it lives at a posh hotel in Gloucestershire!
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

I had it for around six or seven years altogether and now it lives at a posh hotel in Gloucestershire!
It wasn't this one was it, stationed outside the De Vere Tortworth Court Hotel?
Attachments
IMG_20190815_204645583 (002).jpg
IMG_20190815_204645583 (002).jpg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 7044 times
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

Yes that's Monty! They call him something else now though and have wrapped him in that yucky green. He's really Almond Green.

Did you see him fairly recently?
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I was a great advocate of Osmo oil it seemed to work well at first but unfortunately the wood on my traveller suffered badly one winter when under a Stormforce cover for a couple of weeks. Maybe the rot was already there deep inside and the cover, certainly didn't help, but once I've replaced the wood I'll be following Woodies instruction in how to treat it.
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Did you see him fairly recently?
Yes, we stayed at this hotel in August last year. I was told that every De Vere hotel had a 'promotional' traveller but we stayed at a D V hotel over last new year......and there was no sign of one!