Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
John159
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Puller and removing hub from back axle housing

Post by John159 »

I made a home made puller as follows. Used angle grinder to cut out from a discarded tractor seat base a flat piece of iron - 15cm square and 3mm thick. Cut a piece of cardboard , same size , and pressed it against the 4 bolts on the hub. Made a hole in the centre of each mark and projected each onto my piece of iron . Drilled out the four holes using a bit a little bigger than the hub bolts as you do not want to damage their threads. Place iron onto hub and screw on the four bolts. I screwed them on with the flat side of the nut against the iron. It is essential that you use something like hard plastic between the iron and the threaded shaft so that the shaft threads are not damaged. I used two thicknesses of the kind of plastic one finds in cold rooms which are draped inside doors to keep in the cold air. A piece of thin hard timber may be also ok but space is at a premium.when the 4 nuts are hand tight and al seem to be screwed in to the same distance , use a wrench to turn each nut one to two turns at a time. Work top and bottom nuts first , then left and right nuts so that the pull is even. When you feel that the nuts are getting harder to turn - around when nut is flush with tip of bolt- unscrew the lot and the hub should he easy to hand pull off.
amgrave
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Puller and removing hub from back axle housing

Post by amgrave »

An old trick is to use the half shaft. Put it on the hub back to front with two of the nuts top and bottom after undoing the big nut to the end of the thread. Jiggle the half shaft up and down and if that does not work tighten the nuts a little at a time keeping the shaft level. Once loose remove shaft and big nut, job done. :D :D :D