Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Make do and mend...........

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
In a box of Minor related spares that I recently bought came a pair of rear light lenses, serviceable apart from the fact that one had a problem which I've seen a few times before and, I'm guessing, might be quite common, in that the bottom screw fixing point had broken off (Rusted in screw?? Who knows...).
Anyway, rather than throw it away I thought why not repair it with some Araldite I had lying around. Araldite sets like a resin and adheres to most things brilliantly, also once it's gone off it can be cut with a knife or small hacksaw blade and filed or sanded to shape, as required.
So placing the damaged lens on a flat piece of hardboard I set to work. Once mixed the Araldite just needs holding in place until it starts to go off, I used a piece of flat plastic and a match box to keep it in position....

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Once it had gone off I set about separating it from the hardboard and trimming it with a Stanley knife / junior hacksaw blade, roughly to shape. I then shaped it further with a small file.
[frame]Image[/frame] The under side, once shaped with hacksaw blade and knife. I mixed a generous amount of Araldite, to ensure I got the depth required, both to rebuild the sides bottoms that had fractured away as well and to get the depth for the area that would form the new fixing point for the retaining screw. [frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

I then drilled the hole for the retaining screw, this can be 'adjusted' later, as required, with a small file I have, to ensure it sits right.
Which just leave the problem of colour.....
Using Humbrol enamels I gave it a thin coat of red as a base, on top of that I used the top layer from an unmixed tin of Humbrol gloss red (see pictures), this gives it the 'see through' lens look, or a close as I can get, so far, I'm still playing with the colour effect but I think I'm getting there.....

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Unfortunately the photo's bring the red colour to the fore, it looks better (more lens like) in the flesh, so to speak.
Not perfect I know and certainly not one for the concourse boys but for mere mortals like me I hope this will be a useful 'how to', both as a way of saving money and you get the satisfaction of rebuilding / reusing something rather than just throwing it away.
Plus, as this is the bottom screw hole, it will be out of sight to most people looking at your car anyway.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Last edited by jagnut66 on Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
PSL184
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Make do and mend...........

Post by PSL184 »

Nice job :lol:
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

Cracking bit of Blue Peter work there fair play I have the same trouble with the lens on my 69 tourer I might just give that a go when I get around to it my late father was a big fan of araldite!
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Nice job Mike :lol:
When I built and flew model aircraft I used to use a product called microballoons to help bulk out the epoxy when using epoxy to add strength to joints in the airframe. It can also be added to wood glue too. It helps make sanding and shaping easier.
http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/product ... heres.aspx
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

As an aside, for those not old enough to remember where this phrase came from:
Make Do and Mend was a pamphlet issued by the British Ministry of Information in the midst of WWII. It was intended to provide housewives with useful tips on how to be both frugal and stylish in times of harsh rationing. With its thrifty design ideas and advice on reusing old clothing, the pamphlet was an indispensable guide for households. Readers were advised to create pretty ‘decorative patches’ to cover holes in warn garments; unpick old jumpers to re-knit chic alternatives; turn men’s clothes into women’s; as well as darn, alter and protect against the ‘moth menace’.
[frame]Image[/frame]
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Good job!! I keep meaning to sort out the cracks on the steering wheel of my series 11 with some areldite.

Recently I was using my old triumph bicycle and the pedal rubber came off, and they are pretty hard to find. So I went back the way I had come and found it. I thought to myself how would Dad have fixed that??? After some head scratching and some tying wire its back were it belongs :D

Too many Minors so little time.....
whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

They normally crack when the screw gets tightened just a little toomuch.

I have a drawer full of them, if anyone wants a go ( think this type was also used on contemporary MGs and similar too)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
As a post note I would like to say that I am very pleased with the end result, a few more applications of the unmixed Humbrol red glosses top layer has left it looking quite lens like and, in my view, once more fit for purpose.

I will also make a mental note of what 'Whyperion' says about overtightening the screws.

Best wishes,
Mike.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

On that thought you could use one of those valve stem O rings as a washer, when new the hole is quite small and should suit the lens screws.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Good idea Les.
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

Nicely done.
Anything you could add to the araldite to colour it without stopping it going off? I tried this sort of repair on a steering wheel crack with a bit of black boot polish. Anything more than a small amount would stop it going off.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Boot polish is a bit greasy to mix with glue, powder paint would probably work better.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Great work i love to see anything mended and re-used rather than be thrown away, Araldite is amazing for many jobs and I have used powder pigments from plastic industries with it in the past, they were normally left over from clearances, but i have found i can buy pigments and all sorts of plastic moulding supplies from a place i get fibre glass matting and resin from.