Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

De-Rusting With Treacle

Post by panky »

I've heard about removing rust with molasses so I thought treacle is molasses isn't it? I just happened to find a couple of out of date tins at the back of the kitchen cupboard during a clear out so I thought.........

Rusty bits. A Commer door bottom repair off-cut, the old bolts off Ted's rear panel and a cast iron water valve cover I dug up out of the garden.

I put a tin of treacle into just over half a bucket of warm water and placed the test pieces in.

After a day the steel sheet was sowing promise

After a week it's still working

After three weeks it only bloody works :)

Even the rust in the pitting had gone.

The other bits showed signs of improvement too, this is just after a quick hose down.

The cast iron still has some crust left on it but it's definitely improved

I'll leave it in for another couple of weeks and see what happens, the liquid seems to be getting pretty lively now but it's started to smell a bit like sweaty socks :oops:
So if your in no rush get yourself to the back of the larder and nick that tin of treacle that was supposed to go into a Christmas cake ten years ago, and the only other thing you need is a container big enough to put your rusty bits in :D
amgrave
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: De-Rusting With Treacle

Post by amgrave »

I saw on Tomorrows World years ago that just placing rusty items in plain water will de-rust them so perhaps the treacle is not really doing it. Ever the disbeliever I did try it myself and plain water does work although it takes a long time (days not hours) and leaves a black residue where the rust once was which washes off easily enough. You have to clean the scale off first for best results.

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: De-Rusting With Treacle

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Ive had the mollasses in an old wheely bin now for about 2 years!! It still works but does pong a bit on a warm day. I power wash the items after they come out and then light the pot belly stove in the garage and get them really well dried before priming. :D

Too many Minors so little time.....