Check the manual and fit a bullet connector if in doubt!

Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Boomlander
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Check the manual and fit a bullet connector if in doubt!

Post by Boomlander »

Hi all,
Removed the steering column from my Series II to work under the dash and having NOT checked the manual undid the nut which holds the slip ring wire onto the column bracket and removing the bolt was dismayed to see a number of small parts cascade onto the floor!
Closer inspection revealed an insulation plate, fibre insert, fibre washer, slip ring contact and securing nut and bolt.
Thank God the manual showed the fitting order of these parts to ensure the slip ring contact was insulated from the column but I could have avoided a fiddly, blind reassembly job with the column bracket in position by simply cutting the slip ring wire and fitting a pair of bullet connectors.
I could have then reassembled the slip ring components onto the bracket on my bench in comfort, slid the bracket onto the column, bolted it down and connected the wire.
Live and learn I guess but I should have known better........If in doubt fit a connector and then remove the part! :oops:

amgrave
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Check the manual and fit a bullet connector if in doubt!

Post by amgrave »

That made me laugh, glad it's not just me then (not with that part though).

Boomlander
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Check the manual and fit a bullet connector if in doubt!

Post by Boomlander »

No you're not alone - the simple to work on Minor hides many interesting little items that on dismantling tend to fly apart hitting you in the teeth, fall to bits and roll into every crevice in the bodywork, cut your hand to ribbons, break off in your fingers or catch light! Sometimes one item can perform a combination of these actions (Oil relief valve or Trafficator Switch)
My evil little B@st@£d of a car resents my every effort to work on it and usually as now I end up nursing a sore face or hand or both! :lol: