gearbox 'frozen'

Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mrsjhmog
MMOC Member: No

gearbox 'frozen'

Post by mrsjhmog »

If your 1st./2nd. gear synchronizer has come apart, "freezing" 1st. gear, this picture may help for re-assembly. A large jubilee clip holds the springs and ball bearings in place. Then 3 pieces of a suitable metal clothes hanger, with ends appropriately bevelled, are inserted to force the balls down as the synchronizer hub is slowly slid on, pushing the jubilee clip out of the way in the process. The plastic bag prevents ball bearings shooting everywhere if the first attempt fails.[frame]Image[/frame]
Make sure the hub is in the correct radial position-see Haynes re. this.
biomed32uk
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: gearbox 'frozen'

Post by biomed32uk »

A bit late to update I suppose now, but if by frozen you mean the box is jammed in 1st there is a fix, but does involve stripping the box.

It's easy to do if you go pushing it in first too enthusiastically, or while the car is rolling somehow. I did it via the 1st method, but managed to coax it all back without any intervention.

I turned a brass collar up and fitted it to the selector rod, limiting the travel, just enough to let it settle in the detents without any pressure being applied to the gear but stopping it going too far to the point of no return when the balls start escaping from the hub.