Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MikeNash
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Lidl compressor and tools

Post by MikeNash »

Here they are again! From Sunday the 18th of Feb https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offe ... 538&week=2
In my opinion, very good value. I've had no trouble - so never used the 3 year guarantee.
Regards, MikeN.
Morris Minor, the car of the future. One day they will all look like this!
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Re: Lidl compressor and tools

Post by Sleeper »

Mike
Which of the tools/accessories have you used , are they OK ?

John :wink:
MikeNash
Minor Addict

Post by MikeNash »

I've been out and had a look and to my surprise over the years I've bought a lot from Aldi/Lidl. Currently I've the hacksaw, shears, drill, impact wrench, nailer, paint sprayer, nibbler, sander and angle grinder (plus a few lesser things). All are used, but only occasionally in the manner you'd expect of a home motorbike and car restorer. Of all these, the nailer is the most used - mostly by friends putting flooring their house and garage roofs! To drive them I've an Adli "V-twin" compressor with an effective delivery rate of 170 litres/min; the saw and angle grinder take the most flow. Some need little air (like the nailer) and for these my ancient wee Columbus Jumbo is sufficient with about 50 litres/min delivery. The most useful has been the air hacksaw, although you need ear-defenders! The least effective is, I think, the sand blaster.
Regarding trouble, I've had a cylinder head gasket fail on this compressor but rather than invoke the guarantee I just bought a new one for (I think) £3 and fitted it. It came in two days. Also the impact driver stopped but when I took it apart and found it lacked lubricant: an oiling and its OK.
Altogether I'm satisfied, MikeN.
Morris Minor, the car of the future. One day they will all look like this!
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Mike
Thanks

John :wink:
greendefender123
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by greendefender123 »

Im gonna try and get the sandblaster kit next week. It should be good. Im also tempted by the oil transfer pump for filling up gearboxes. Nice surprise this morning the girlfriend bought me the tap and die set from aldi. Iv also got the battery charger which seems good. With all the cars iv got im always using it. They've also got wash and wax for £2.50.
Attachments
1518618498115-346651223.jpg
1518618498115-346651223.jpg (373.04 KiB) Viewed 4774 times
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

That Aldi tap and die set is great, I have had the same set for about five years and have given the M12 die some abuse. It is a metric set that includes G1/8 and G1/4 which is 1/8 and 1/4 BSP parallel thread.  Shame they don't do an imperial set.
Regards John.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Pity they do not do BSF either :(

For a Minor you need;-

BSF (British Standard Fine) , UNF (Unified National Fine), BSP (British Standard Pipe) both parallel and taper, UNS Unified National (Special)), UNC (Unified National Coarse), BA (British Association), WW (Whitworth), Brass Thread and BSCY (British Standard Cycle).
I tend to buy my taps and dies as I need them and they must be made from High Speed Steel if available.
Best if taps are bought as sets of 1st cut, 2nd cut and plug.
Dies should be preferably split and used with a die holder with three adjustment screws so as to adjust the depth of cut of the die.
Die nuts should be used for cleaning up threads and not cutting new threads.
If cleaning up female threads the use of a used or worn tap is best.
Thread chasers or thread files are a bonus.
Thread gauges are a must.

There are no metric threads ex factory on a Minor but some new parts incorporate metric threads so they need to be checked if in any doubt.
Phil

ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

There are metric threads on series MM engines
I got imperial tap and die sets from abtools
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSF-Tap-And- ... SwW9RadZfu

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Ian
You are right in that the early side valve 918cc engine Minor had some metric threaded fittings with Whitworth heads. A left over from the days when Morris acquired the manufacturing machinery of the French Hotchkiss Armaments Company Ltd.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Engines
Fittings with metric threads and Whitworth heads were discarded on later engines.
The use of UNS threads on some components of the 'A' Series engine I suspect is a legacy of Morris Motors in 1914/1915 using American Continental 1548cc engines.
Phil

GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 4255 times
Just returned from a trip to Frome Lidl ( via Midsomer Norton which didn't get any stock of this item) with a grit blaster, first results look promising for £11.99