Remote reservoir fitting

Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
S.Carrington
MMOC Member: Yes

Remote reservoir fitting

Post by S.Carrington »

Hi, I have had a nightmare fitting the spigotted bung in the back of the new Master cylinder. I have got it to stop leaking for 12 hours, but it leaks after that. There isn't any pressure on this and I followed the fitting instructions ie use the new bung and the existing copper washer.
I first tried the renewing the lot and thought, might as well renew the master cylinder while it's out. Tried to get it to stop leaking 3 weeks before the national rally. Lost count of how many times I drained it, tightened it a bit re-filled it. tried adding PTFE all no use. Put the old cylinder back in, put the bung in that, still leaks. Has anyone out there had the same problem and found a solution. Please help I'm booked in at the national but won't be going unless I can get it fixed. Cheers Simon
VanFan
les
Minor Maniac

Re: Remote reservoir fitting

Post by les »

All I can suggest is to use a new copper washer or anneal the existing one, as they get hard over time, heat it to cherry red then drop it into water.

Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

What are you using to connect the remote reservoir to the master cylinder?

John :wink:
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

The kits usually have a pipe and fitting to screw into a new end cap. Is the leak coming from the rim of the end cap, the fitting that screw into it, or the tube/pipe coming from the new reservoir? Is there any chance that the system is leaking somewhere else? A photo of the installation might be helpful as the designs do vary a little.

How bad is the leak? I would never advocate driving without fully operational brakes, but if the reservoir drops by a few mm over say two days then carrying spare fluid and topping up would be fine - as you say, this area is not under pressure. A more serious leak is a different matter. The remote systems do give quite a bit more fluid to play with, but obviously you still need to fix the problem.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Simon
If you're using any kind of flexible plastic pipe , this "weeps " DOT fluid , the only cure is metal or Tygon , not cheap but does the job....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... ng&_sop=15

John :wink:
Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Nickol »

Declan does a very nice braided hose connection - guaranteed leak free but it uses screw fittings.

I got fed up with mine leaking / weeping and discarded it for the normal mastercylinder set up.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]