Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
downsey
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Mgb disc brakes

Post by downsey »

Has anyone mounted mgb disc brakes up front?

Well I did and now that im finished i wouldnt recommend it lol. Yes they work really well but there was an extensive amount of work involved designing and machining new spindles, caliper mounts, mounting the mgb master cylinder using a remote reservoir from a vw, as well as grinding on the wheels in order for the setup to fit.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

as well as grinding on the wheels
Dont like the sound of that as I always thought that any wheel alterations of this sort would weaken the whole structure.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Any chance of some pictures - and do you now have MGB wheels on the front ?
ImageImage
downsey
Minor Fan

Post by downsey »

Sorry i dont have pictures yet because i dont have a digital camera. I actually split my stock wheels and split mgb wheels and used the mgb outer rims with my centers. But i had to grind some on the the centers in order to have clearance for the cotter pins holding the brake pads. I actually havent drove the car yet ( i still need to mount a remote fluid reservoir) but ive been told that the brakes are going to work really good, especially with the mgb rear brakes too.

-Danny Downs
Chipper
Minor Addict

Re: Mgb disc brakes

Post by Chipper »

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am interested in such a conversion, as I bought a Minor with MGB banjo rear axle with 4.5" PCD but with the Marina front discs, which appear to be 100mm PCD (4" PCD Minor wheels just squeeze onto the studs!)

This makes for awkwardness when it comes to selecting a spare wheel! I thought about maybe drilling out a standard Minor wheel to fit the 4.5" PCD of the rear; yes, it's a bodge, but OK as a temporary spare that would fit at either end.

Is it possible to easily fit a 4.5" PCD front hub, or to convert the rear from 4.5" to 4" or 100mm?

Thanks,
Maurice.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

You could try hunting down some Morris 575 hubs. They were fitted to the 10cwt commercial Marinas, but you might have a bit of a job finding them.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Marina hubs would be 3.75" PCD - so they must have been modified - hopefully to 4" PCD. You should certainly NOT be squeezing Minor wheels on to 100 mm PCD studs - you will lose a wheel............. Measure carefully - and if they are 100 mm - please get 100mm wheels to fit safely and properly!
ImageImage
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

I hear what you're saying there! I purchased the car with the hubs and standard Minor wheels fitted, but would like a set of the Morris 575 hubs to match the 4.5" PCD of the rear axle. They appear to be very difficult/impossible to get hold of though :(
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

The 10cwt van used a B-series axle. The hubs are hard to find, I was lucky to find some NOS ones on e-bay, so they're out there. The hub is the same for both drum and disc braked models, the only difference is that the drum-braked ones need the hole drilled to fix the disc to. Helpfully, they're drilled part of the way through, you just need to drill them all the way though, preferably with a pillar drill.