Tyre pressure on 175s

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
JimK
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Tyre pressure on 175s

Post by JimK »

Hi folks,
I can't find any recommendations on this subject so I thought I'd ask the asembled company.

If you have 175/65R14 tyres or similar, what pressures do you set? I have a saloon running 1-up.

Ta.
Jim - New Forest, the Wiltshire bit
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Well 26 all round is normal for radials thats got to be a fair starting point and see how they wear, or ask one of the Traders that seels Minilights or similar what they reccommend.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
JimK
Minor Addict

Post by JimK »

I don't do enough mileage (about 6k a year) to see how they wear in a short enough period and I really don't want the grip and handling effects of getting it wrong.

I was hoping for a definite answer from somebody else running these tyres, of which there are a few on here.

I'll try the traders.
Rob_Jennings
Minor Addict

Post by Rob_Jennings »

I would have thought that a 175 tyre would be at higher pressure.

One good start point is the tyre max pressure less say 20% then ride around, see how it feels and adjust up/down a little until you are comfortable. As you say your millage is low I would expect it to takes ages for poor wear to show.

That tyre size is the standard for a fiesta, and they run about 30-35 upto 35-40 (front-rear) so you probably want to start with at least 30+ PSI all round.
Rob
Lizzy 1970 Morris Minor Traveller and Noah 1969 Morris Mini Traveller
ImageImage
JimK
Minor Addict

Post by JimK »

Rob_Jennings wrote:I would have thought that a 175 tyre would be at higher pressure.
I thought that might be true but I haven't run a car as light as a Minor before.
One good start point is the tyre max pressure less say 20% then ride around, see how it feels and adjust up/down a little until you are comfortable.
Unfortunately the suspension issues I have at the moment will make it very hard to feel the effect of varying tyre pressures...
That tyre size is the standard for a fiesta, and they run about 30-35 upto 35-40 (front-rear) so you probably want to start with at least 30+ PSI all round.
Do you mean 30 front and 35 rear? That sounds the wrong way round - my Fiesta runs 35 front and 26 rear unloaded.
Rob_Jennings
Minor Addict

Post by Rob_Jennings »

Sorry your right, fiesta tyre pressure is 30-26 unloaded up to 35-40 loaded. (so you have an odd mix if you have front 35 rear 26 ?) I guess the rear can end up loaded more than the front, and less heating effects as they simply follow the line most of the time so they can use a higher pressure.

But still seems that you want to start around the 30 mark and adjust from there. (probably upwards?)
Rob
Lizzy 1970 Morris Minor Traveller and Noah 1969 Morris Mini Traveller
ImageImage
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Rob_Jennings wrote:
I would have thought that a 175 tyre would be at higher pressure.

I thought that might be true but I haven't run a car as light as a Minor before.
Well my 235`s x 16`s are 26lbs alround same as reccommended for 145 radials on a Moggie.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

Henry has 165's on the front and 185's on the back and he is on 30 all round
JimK
Minor Addict

Post by JimK »

Welung666 wrote:Henry has 165's on the front and 185's on the back and he is on 30 all round
Thank you!

Why the different sizes? An attempt to get power to the road or making sure the front slips before the back?
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

JimK wrote:Why the different sizes? An attempt to get power to the road or making sure the front slips before the back?
No idea, the wheels we're on him when I got him, he handles OK despite the drivers side torsion bar sticking through the floor :oops: although he has a list :lol: