WHAT DOES IT DO???

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
sloopjohnrb
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by sloopjohnrb »

Hi, John, member number 55621.
I purchased an outstanding 1962 4 door moggie some 3 weeks ago.
There is a switch/pull push device consisting of a black, round knob connected to a long rod; situated below the parcel shelf. I have no idea what this does or what it is for. The handbook does not contain any mention of it.
I suspect it is something to do with the heater?
PLEASE can anyone help me as to what this is for?
Please pardon my ignorance-I've never had a Moggie before and when my car was first produced, I was 4 years old.
My E-mail is sloopjohnrb@btinternet.com
newagetraveller
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by newagetraveller »

This is a guess but a 1962 car probably has an old-type round heater.
The standard old-type heater is cylindrical in size and sits under the dashboard. The only way that it will pump out hot (warm?) air is by means of an electric fan inside the heater.
There is a deluxe version of this heater which has a cover around it that goes down to an inlet hole in the floor. This type will pump out hot/warm air either by switching the fan on or (if the car is moving) by means of air coming through the inlet. The inlet has a flap on it that can be opened or closed by means of the round black knob that you are talking about.
(I think!)
sloopjohnrb
Minor Fan

Post by sloopjohnrb »

Thanks for the info.
I believe my heater has the "deluxe" version heater as I can clearly see the air scoop you mention.
Having played around with knob and lever, following you data, I can now feel a definite increase in heat with the lever in the right posistion.
That said,even when I close it all of my car is still roastingly hot-I had heard that most Moggies were fridges but mine is the opposite.
Thanks again,
JOHN
stephen
Minor Friendly

Post by stephen »

You know that pushed in is the on position and pulled out is off?

Stephen
newagetraveller
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by newagetraveller »

If you open the bonnet you will see a small tap sitting on the top of the cylinder head at the back. Turn this off to stop the flow of water to the heater.
sloopjohnrb
Minor Fan

Post by sloopjohnrb »

Quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 2002-05-15 15:56, stephen wrote:
You know that pushed in is the on position and pulled out is off?

Stephen
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't, and thanks for the info=I feel such an idiot as I'm usually ok mechanically!!
sloopjohnrb
Minor Fan

Post by sloopjohnrb »

Quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 2002-05-15 17:12, newagetraveller wrote:
If you open the bonnet you will see a small tap sitting on the top of the cylinder head at the back. Turn this off to stop the flow of water to the heater.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for that-I will try that out and I'm sure it will help with my roasting hot moggie.
Come Winter, it'll great to have a warm car-my last car, a Metro, was pretty poor in the heater stakes.
Thanks gain.