police car wheels / van wheels

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
andrewwita
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

police car wheels / van wheels

Post by andrewwita »

is it true. i have been told that panda cars had van wheel centres fitted. i own a 1970 panda car if so are the wheels van wheels, i can't just pop to check either as the car is 215 miles away at my folks house in wales
Willie
Minor Legend

wheels

Post by Willie »

Never heard that one! There are various differences on the
Police Minors but wider wheels has never been mentioned
before.
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

Andrew

As far as I am aware only 8cwt commercials were fitted with 4.5Js!

Cheers
Russell Harvey
Minor LCV Register Historian
Freelance Motoring Journalist
http://www.Minorlcvreg.co.uk

simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

We have a Cardiff City ex panda 1968 2 door saloon and loads of documented photos etc. Categorically they are standard car wheels. It's good to hear of another panda. Have you joined the ex police register? Full details in Minor Matters under the registers section. Ray will be delighted to hear from you. As your car is in Wales, it didn;t by any chance originate from a welsh force did it?
RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

Simmitic

My mate in Newport has an ex Panda from South Wales 4 door, is there anything you want to know or see from it?

Cheers
Russell Harvey
Minor LCV Register Historian
Freelance Motoring Journalist
http://www.Minorlcvreg.co.uk

andrewwita
Minor Friendly

Post by andrewwita »

well my police car is ex cornwall n devon . but is for scrap as it is beyond saving but has some good parts on it . if you know n e one who wants it let them know £50 i think is a fair price , i believe the headlining is good with zip and has a running engine, no gearbox as it is now in my blue car and it has 2 good wings on it
lynda
Minor Fan

Post by lynda »

Andrew,

Having enquired with Ray of the police register, it seems that there are only 4 ex Devon and Cornwall cars in existance as far as he knows.... mine, yours, Ray's own and one in Devon. Are you sure yours is really beyond saving?

It's a shame mine is finished, as my headlining disintegrated on removal and it's now got a nasty white plastic modern zip in it, as that was all we could find in an emergency. I could have done with a decent headlining then!

I know I shouldn't be saying this, but.... despite my bank account being in negative numbers at the moment I am kind of tempted by another police car. Please can you let me know just how bad it really is? I am planning to learn welding soonish....

Ah. Just read that it's in Wales. That might be more of a problem :-?

P.S. Hi Simon, assuming simmitc is who I think you are. Had a letter from the Essex Branch today about meeting up - I'll have a proper look at it when I'm not running late for work!
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Hi Russel, always interested in details. Ray keeps the register, but it's nice to knwo what other cards were like - colour scheme, force, type of box / light / radio, etc. Any info would be appreciated by Ray and myself.

Hi Lynda, yes you're right. Desmond said that he'd be writing. I reckon September sounds good. Like you. I'd love another car, but Angela won't tolerate a second panda in the garden without getting rid of one of the three travellers, and I won't do that - too useful for towing and carrying boat gear around. Ray is keen for a good display at Donington - see you there?
lynda
Minor Fan

Post by lynda »

simmitc wrote: I reckon September sounds good.
I'm taking Brian the panda car to Devon in mid September, but the Branch doesn't have anything planned so yes, September would be fine.

I'm not sure about Donnington - my Dad isn't keen on the long trip just for a day, and he'd be the one coming with me.
andrewwita
Minor Friendly

Post by andrewwita »

well i was shocked when i bought it off ebay i was so lookin 4ward to getting it as my friend lucy brown in putney here in london has a devon n cornwall car too ( tta 898h ) and mine is tta 902 h . the floor is rotten door pillars are hangging off and under the bk window d/s there is a fist size hole between the lip of the roof itself and the window. which is a strange place for it to go , rear wheel arches rotten and all the usuall place's. i have had a few police cars myself - a 4dr glamorgan police car ptx 650f and a carmarthrenshire 2 door lbx 220g. also had parts of a friends spares car which was lbx 222g .
lynda
Minor Fan

Post by lynda »

That does sound quite a major project.....