Jacks.

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bidz
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Jacks.

Post by Bidz »

My car didn't come with the original jack.

What are people's thoughts on bottle jacks? We have one at work and it lifts big vans quite well...

What sort of lift clearance do I need?
“The car has become an article of dress without which we feel uncertain, unclad, and incomplete in the urban compound.” ― Marshall McLuhan
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Re: Jacks.

Post by chesney »

Machine Mart do a perfectly suitable one for around £8, served me quite well. Worth using with some stout hardwood to protect the area you're lifting and prevent slipping.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Much better with a small/light trolley jack. Don't worry about the original jack - it is NEVER to be used anyway!
ImageImage
chuffit
Minor Friendly

Post by chuffit »

Agreed trolley jacks are best a little heavy to carry with you though so I have a bottle jack out of a Discovery it has a shaped top which fits to underside of axle nicely :wink:

Fairford,Glos
Enjoy life in the slow lane buy a minor
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Just make sure you have clearance to get the bottle jack under your jacking point when the tyre is FLAT as this can be 3 or 4 inches lower than normal.

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

If your car did not come with the original jack that is a good thing, you will not be tempted to use it!
A decent trolley jack for the garage and a scissor jack in the boot, and a pair of axle stands
[sig]3580[/sig]
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

Its not realy practical to carry a trolly jack in the boot,nor axle stands, just get down to a scrap yard and find a good strong scissor jack to use for wheel changes,emergency repairs, at the road side.most moderns have them.You will find that bottle jacks are no use for this since once the tyre is flat,you can't get the bottle jack under the car.
As an asside,in each car I have ,including the wifes ,I have placed an can of emergency inflator/repair,absolutly invaluable,no need for wheel off at the side of a busy road,just screw it on and 30 seconds later you are on your way.Even my wife could do that,well if she could find the flat wheel in the first place without ringing me :D :D
In fact in a lot of new cars now you don't even get a spare,just a can and an 12volt pump. :o
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I agree with the 'can' - although have never used it, and it will be useless if the tyre has more than a 'nail' in it. I don't have any problem carrying a small trolley jack...so much safer than messing about with a scissor jack.
ImageImage
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I carry a modern scissor jack too, they do vary in quality a lot so don't just grab the first one you see.
I think it's a H*nda one, very well made but still much lighter than a trolley jack.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

beware of using gas canisters for reinflating tubed tyres. They are for tubeless tyres and not recommended for use with tubes.

Bertie.
AntB
Minor Fan

Post by AntB »

bmcecosse wrote:Don't worry about the original jack - it is NEVER to be used anyway!
if memory serves it gets the car off the ground. so why the issue?
Bidz
Minor Fan

Post by Bidz »

AntB wrote:
bmcecosse wrote:Don't worry about the original jack - it is NEVER to be used anyway!
if memory serves it gets the car off the ground. so why the issue?
Err, death I assume.
“The car has become an article of dress without which we feel uncertain, unclad, and incomplete in the urban compound.” ― Marshall McLuhan
AntB
Minor Fan

Post by AntB »

so if i jack my morris off the ground with the jack to replace a tyre with a puncture the OEM jack will kill me?

odd, i have changed loads of tyres with it and it was fine.

however, if someone was planning on using it for something it wasn't designed for, such as working under the vehicle instead of supporting the car in a proper manner i would agree that was an unwise thing to do. dangerous even.

a sense of scale is a useful tool also.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

If you use the original jack as supplied by morris,was perfectly ok when the car was new,except not very stable,but depending on the model,serr 11and earlier, fitted under the edge of the front and rear inner wings,and after. small tube on the end of the cross member. After 20 years these areas are guarenteed to collapse,eventually, due to weakening with corrosion. Unless you have a completely rebuilt body,If you are in doubt about it use the oringinal and then give the car a good shove about,just like the wind caused by a large lorry passing at 60 mph. BUT STAND WELL BACK.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

[frame]Image[/frame]
GPO van jacking bracket[frame]Image[/frame]Series MM jacking point[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]GPO van jacking point
[sig]3580[/sig]
Tudge
Minor Fan

Post by Tudge »

One thing I've been wondering is how you would jack the back wheel off the ground for emergency tyre change, where is the strongest place to do it for a 2 door saloon? Would it be the same place as in those ^ photos?

Many thanks
1965 2Dr - She's called Lola

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

under the diff
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Nowt wrong with the original jack, as long as the jacking points are in good condition, and the jack is well greased and you use it sensibly.

In fact, it's quite a good sturdy and efficient design, compared to some modern car jacks.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)