Can you identify this??

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
QCS
MMOC Member: No

Can you identify this??

Post by QCS »

Whilst sorting through a pile of old 'moggie' parts acquired some years ago I came across a shield shaped badge marked 'Morris Van' . It is not flat and appears to have been made for fixing to a slightly curved surface being fitted with a threaded 'bolt' with nut and another 'locating' pin on the rear. It is marked 'J. Fray Ltd.' who appear to have been a badge and medal manufacturer in Birmingham. Apparently they supplied a number of car manufacturers with the badges for their cars. Latest reference to the that I can find is 1983 There is a Joseph Fray Ltd at 35 Middlemere Industrial Estate, Middlemere Rd, Smethwick - 021 558 3991/3879 listed as

"Manufacture And Distribution Of Zinc Die Castings And Decorative Components To The Domestic Appliance, Automotive And Communication Industries."

Pre WW2 they were at 36 Albion Street, Birmingham with a phone number of CENtral 6844.

So when does the badge date from and what was its use?

Ian[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
busguy
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Can you identify this??

Post by busguy »

I think it is a Morris 8 or Z model van from the 1938 to 45 period.
See if you can find any photos on google to confirm.
QCS
MMOC Member: No

Re: Can you identify this??

Post by QCS »

Older than I thought - thanks for that as I've now found a close-up photo of one on a Morris 8 van at http://tinyurl.com/Morris8badge. Not quite a lot of use for my 1967 Moggie van :(