299 BKG 1962 Black 4 door Saloon William Morris connection

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
type35bug
MMOC Member: No

299 BKG 1962 Black 4 door Saloon William Morris connection

Post by type35bug »

Hi , I'm interested to know if anyone may know of 299 BKG , a black 4 door saloon registered in 1962 . It is believed to have been given to an employee byWilliam Morris . May there be any truth behind this ? Thanks , Simon
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: 299 BKG 1962 Black 4 door Saloon William Morris connection

Post by ManyMinors »

It may be possible but I would think it unlikely. William Morris was long retired by 1962 and died the following year. Any car I have known of which had any connection with Morris - either the man or the factory - was registered by the factory and therefore had an Oxfordshire (occasionally Birmingham) registration number so the last two letters of the registration would generally be JO, FC, WL, BW, UD to list a few. The KG registration you mention comes from Cardiff I think?
type35bug

Re: 299 BKG 1962 Black 4 door Saloon William Morris connection

Post by type35bug »

I am now the proud owner of 299BKG, I have pestered everyone locally to try and find out the early history. Originally I had been told the car was given to the first owner by William Morris, it now appears that is not correct. Through good long time local Minor repairers I am told the car was bought new in 1962 by a chap called Daniel James Thomas who had worked as a close aid to William Morris in the 1920's and 1930's. Does anyone on here know anything about Daniel James Thomas please? Thanks, Simon