TOX 79H The Snail Returns :-)

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ClaireS
MMOC Member: Yes

TOX 79H The Snail Returns :-)

Post by ClaireS »

Hi Everyone

I'm the new owner of The Snail (TOX 79H) - the Morris Minor Pick Up Caravanette with the Fisher Holivan Junior on the back :-)

Full restoration is underway, and I'm trying to find out more about his history. I've done a huge amount of research already, and have written to four previous owners who I had details for from copies of old V5s going back to 2007 (who I'm waiting to hear back from). My V5 says there have been a total of 15 former keepers, so there are 11 more than I'm unable to contact!

I would really like to find out as much as I can about his history and previous ownership, and particularly, in what year the Holivan was put on the back and by whom.

Also, I applied to British Motor Museum Heritage for a certificate, but sadly they replied that 'the post 1964 Morris commercial vehicle factory records were destroyed many decades ago'. So I haven't been able to confirm his original spec or where he was built. Does anyone know how I could find out more?

An MMOC member ('blueangelical') owned The Snail in about 2006 / 7, and was also looking to put together his history file. I've read all her posts, but sadly she was last active in the Forum in 2007.

I would be hugely grateful for any information / help / guidance anyone can give me.

Many thanks!
ianmack
Minor Addict

Re: TOX 79H The Snail Returns :-)

Post by ianmack »

Hello and welcome. What a fascinating project, I have fancied doing one of these conversions myself. Let us know how it progresses. I’d also be interested to know what it’s like to drive, especially in a crosswind!

There are plenty of pics on google image, search ‘snail morris camper’.
crossword
Minor Fan

Post by crossword »

Claire , I have just googled the registration number . At the bottom of the first page of results is a site regarding custom wheels in which it is said that the snail was created by a coachbuilder in 1984 . There is no further information given .

Regards Andrew.
crossword
Minor Fan

Post by crossword »

Actually there is more information about the snail , also the image is copyright to kevnorth 2009 . The kenbrake minibus alongside vsl528 has been taxed and tested until 2016 . If you could find the owner , they may have spoken about history Kevnorth may know the event if you could find him . Very long shots I know .

Amdrew .
ClaireS

Post by ClaireS »

Hi "ianmack" and Andrew... Many thanks for your responses!

I've now heard back from two of the four previous owners I had details for, from copies of old V5s, so I'm starting to put more history together :-)

I've named him Billy, so he's now Billy 'The Snail'.... He's driving like a hovercraft at the moment (lol!), as I've completely stripped out the interior of the old caravan, so he's as light as a feather. He hadn't been used for at least 5 years when I bought him, but started first time when I put a new battery in him!

From lots of Google searching I'm starting to put some dates to his changes of colour and 'accessories'.... e.g., visor and emergency light!

Andrew, I can't find the page you referred to, mentioning 1984. Could you send that to me?

Thanks again. Claire
crossword
Minor Fan

Post by crossword »

Claire , tried again , it is now at the top of the second page of results .https://sites.google.com/site/canadacus ... ize-wheel/
Not looked here since last week.
Regards Andrew .
ClaireS

Post by ClaireS »

Hi Andrew

That's a fantastic find.... lots of information I didn't have! Thanks so much for sending the link :-)

Claire
Hourhouse
MMOC Member: No

Post by Hourhouse »

I came across a reference to The Snail on the internet and followed it back here. You've done an amazing restoration job!
I came across it at Pickering Steam Rally (sadly now defunct) on 7th August 2008 and attach some more pictures for your collection.These are 1/3 the size to post on here - message me please, if you'd like copies of the originals.
Attachments
Dscf2798s.jpg
Dscf2798s.jpg (63.17 KiB) Viewed 4584 times
Dscf2797s.jpg
Dscf2797s.jpg (58.2 KiB) Viewed 4584 times
Dscf2796s.jpg
Dscf2796s.jpg (243.18 KiB) Viewed 4584 times
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

Hi claire, loved the program and the end result. I took this photo at the National Rally at Western Park in 1986. Hope you find it of interest.
On a side, I went to the rally in my Traveller that I still own and drive. Good luck with yours.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=7622
Attachments
IMG_20190116_0001web.jpg
IMG_20190116_0001web.jpg (252.73 KiB) Viewed 4520 times
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
Martin in Telford

Post by Martin in Telford »

I have known 'The Snail' for many years, TOX 79H was originally built by a well known eccentric in Wolverhampton in the early 80's, debuted at the National Rally at Weston Park maybe 1986.

I next came across it early 90's, sitting in a desperate state on a garden in Shrewsbury in the hands of an Invalid who worked on his kitchen table reconditioning Trafficators !

It was the purchased by , dare I say eccentric, Mal Weaver (before She married Martin) and brought to us at the Moggy Factory where it had Loads of welding, a bare metal respray in Turquoise/White, also had the massive 13-leaf rear springs reset.

At sometime it also passed through the hands of another Club member in Walsall, whose name escapes me.

The last time I saw it in the Flesh was at the Shropshire branch Rally in 2007 when the colours were predominately Black and Purple with mock Tudor Beams in the Ceiling and Purple Tassles hanging ! (yet another Eccentric, can you see a pattern?)

My best recollection of driving it was accelerating in 1st gear would see the front end lift dramatically ! all you could see was Sky ! braking involved a certain amount of Prayer.

Also mid 80's there was another Minor Caravanette about, a much more civilised looking thing with a Boxy style Luton body.
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

Here’s the prototype :)
F8C405FD-E950-48B2-93F5-EA8100045472.jpeg
F8C405FD-E950-48B2-93F5-EA8100045472.jpeg (187.92 KiB) Viewed 4449 times
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I want one! :D
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

See Mel Gibson !

ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Someone will be on shortly to explain which parts are incorrect for a 1958 model :D
ClaireS

Post by ClaireS »

Hourhouse wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:48 pm I came across a reference to The Snail on the internet and followed it back here. You've done an amazing restoration job!
I came across it at Pickering Steam Rally (sadly now defunct) on 7th August 2008 and attach some more pictures for your collection.These are 1/3 the size to post on here - message me please, if you'd like copies of the originals.
Hi there...And thanks hugely for your message! Really pleased you like how I restored Billy :-) I would love to have copies of the pictures... could you send them directly to claireswingler@hotmail.com

Many thanks again!

Claire
ClaireS

Post by ClaireS »

Martin in Telford wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:04 am I have known 'The Snail' for many years, TOX 79H was originally built by a well known eccentric in Wolverhampton in the early 80's, debuted at the National Rally at Weston Park maybe 1986.

I next came across it early 90's, sitting in a desperate state on a garden in Shrewsbury in the hands of an Invalid who worked on his kitchen table reconditioning Trafficators !

It was the purchased by , dare I say eccentric, Mal Weaver (before She married Martin) and brought to us at the Moggy Factory where it had Loads of welding, a bare metal respray in Turquoise/White, also had the massive 13-leaf rear springs reset.

At sometime it also passed through the hands of another Club member in Walsall, whose name escapes me.

The last time I saw it in the Flesh was at the Shropshire branch Rally in 2007 when the colours were predominately Black and Purple with mock Tudor Beams in the Ceiling and Purple Tassles hanging ! (yet another Eccentric, can you see a pattern?)

My best recollection of driving it was accelerating in 1st gear would see the front end lift dramatically ! all you could see was Sky ! braking involved a certain amount of Prayer.

Also mid 80's there was another Minor Caravanette about, a much more civilised looking thing with a Boxy style Luton body.

Hi Martin... Thanks so much for your message - it's wonderful to have all this information :-) I thought Billy was put together in the 70's, so it's good to learn that he was in fact converted in the 80's! Do you know the name of the person who did the work?

It would be fantastic is I could put a few more details to what you've told me here... would it be possible to have a quick chat one day? If so, you could email me your number, and I'll call any time that in convenient to you.

Many thanks again!

Claire
ClaireS

Post by ClaireS »

King Kenny wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:32 pm Hi claire, loved the program and the end result. I took this photo at the National Rally at Western Park in 1986. Hope you find it of interest.
On a side, I went to the rally in my Traveller that I still own and drive. Good luck with yours.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=7622
Hi there...And many thanks for your message! I love the picture :-) Much better than the one I had found of Billy in that colour! Is there any chance you would mind sending me the digital copy you have, for the history file? If so, you can email me directly on claireswingler@hotmail.com

Thanks again!!

Claire
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Just watched George Clarke's amazing spaces and spotted the snail on there, Great to see you have saved it and given it a new lease of life.

squire
Minor Friendly

Post by squire »

Martin in Telford wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:04 am I have known 'The Snail' for many years, TOX 79H was originally built by a well known eccentric in Wolverhampton in the early 80's, debuted at the National Rally at Weston Park maybe 1986.

Hi Martin,

Mal says "don't suppose you've got any old photos of the Snail during the restoration"? She says she wanted it in Almond green and she saw it in "Turquoise" she said "what! It won't match my curtains!" Typical woman, "lol".

Martyn